HE351VE on a 12 valve

was working on my 351ve project today and thought...how about one of those adjustable spring drive pressure actuators to control the vanes. anyone try this idea instead of the normal wastegate actuator? any thoughts? could also put a softer spring on the other side of it to control the vanes closing too fast to control barking.

Please explain to me what the goal is for controlling the exhaust geometry? Are you trying to maintain equal boost and drive pressure or something else?

im using the 6.7 turbo and have no barking. the only thing i would change would to use an wastegate actuator with a lighter spring. im using the 7.3l wastegate now, but have to be at 20 psi for the damn thing to open. need something to open sooner like 3 psi and then use a boost controller to dial it in.

Twins are on!

All,

The he351ve over a hx52 has been completed!

Initial impressions are positive to say the least:rockwoot:

My initial choice to keep the heat exchanger beneath the manifold proved to be a royal PITA to work around.

Boost is down to ~38psi, egt's are down to ~1100deg @ WOT, drive pressure is up to ~45psi (WOT @ 2800rpms,) and HP is up a fair bit as well:rockwoot: All the aforementioned measurements were done at 5300' of elevation.

Some tuning of the VGT section might help alleviate some drive pressure issues. I have it opening at 40psi of drive pressure and the reduction is about 5-10psi upon opening. I might have to adjust the stop to allow the housing to open further.

I have not added a second pressure gauge to verify how much the hx52 is contributing to the fray, but I will in the future.

Smoke is down as well. A light haze was visible before and now there is nothing...

Finally, here are some pictures of the mess:st:
IMAG0023.jpg
[/IMG]

IMAG0022.jpg

Now it is clearly evident that i am in need of more fuel! I think a set of 5x0.012" 145* will suit the air side of the equation nicely!

That is very cool. I finally drove mine last week. Seems to be pretty cool so far.

And as far as a wastegate actuator opening too late, I seem to be having the same issue. To counter-act it I am going to put a compression spring against my actuator mount, and have it pushing the actuator cylinder out (open position). Hopefully I can find the spring I need to do this, I also hope this works. I know this sounds confusing, but I will post pictures when it is done.

thats sweet!! I personally would have put something bigger down under...

At the kind of elevations he tows in the 67mm HX52 is much more suitable for his desired power levels... If he was closer to sea level and had higher power goals then yeah, an HT60 or S475 would have been better.

That is very cool. I finally drove mine last week. Seems to be pretty cool so far.

And as far as a wastegate actuator opening too late, I seem to be having the same issue. To counter-act it I am going to put a compression spring against my actuator mount, and have it pushing the actuator cylinder out (open position). Hopefully I can find the spring I need to do this, I also hope this works. I know this sounds confusing, but I will post pictures when it is done.

Are you using drive pressure or boost to open your housing? I prefer drive pressure, my set up was with boost to start with, but I switched to drive pressure a few months ago and I love it. The housing opens a little sooner and it is much more smooth. Elevation doesn't seem to bother it as much as it did before either.

I have mine running on drive pressure, it is very smooth, the only way I can tell that the housing is opening is by the slower rise of egts. My actuator doesn't move until ~17 psi, which seems to get too hot too fast, so I would like to make it open a little sooner. I will be able to adjust how soon it opens by adjusting the compression on the spring.

I have mine running on drive pressure, it is very smooth, the only way I can tell that the housing is opening is by the slower rise of egts. My actuator doesn't move until ~17 psi, which seems to get too hot too fast, so I would like to make it open a little sooner. I will be able to adjust how soon it opens by adjusting the compression on the spring.

That's strange, when my housing is closed down it seems to open more around 12psi. If I open it up a little with my linear actuator it takes more pressure to open it, but that's a given since there's more pre load on the actuator's spring...

EDIT: you could invest in a cheapo ebay actuator too, they open between 7-12psi depending on the tension you hold on it :Cheer:

That's strange, when my housing is closed down it seems to open more around 12psi. If I open it up a little with my linear actuator it takes more pressure to open it, but that's a given since there's more pre load on the actuator's spring...

EDIT: you could invest in a cheapo ebay actuator too, they open between 7-12psi depending on the tension you hold on it :Cheer:

I thought about buying one off of ebay, but I figured I might as well try to put a spring in it. I did all the math and came up with the spring I will need to use, now I just have to find one haha. But I figure it will be at least as adjustable as as a lower range wastegate, and I may be able to use a manual boost controller to fine tune it.

ace hardware has compression springs if you have them in PA also McMaster-Carr lots of good stuff at Mcmaster-carr, Grainger to if your really desperate and want to pay twice as much!

CSM diesel, you said that you have your housing opening up at 40 psi of drive pressure correct? I am using an hy35 actuator and it opens at about 17 psi, which seemed to be too late in my case, so I added a spring to help the actuator open at a lower pressure. I am making about 7 pounds of boost when cruising at 65 MPH on a perfectly flat stretch of highway, and my egts are about 750-800 degrees. What I am getting at is, if i didn't open my housing up until 40 PSI my egts would be in melt-down range by the time I got out of 2nd gear.

CSM diesel, you said that you have your housing opening up at 40 psi of drive pressure correct?

Correct.

I am using an hy35 actuator and it opens at about 17 psi, which seemed to be too late in my case, so I added a spring to help the actuator open at a lower pressure. I am making about 7 pounds of boost when cruising at 65 MPH on a perfectly flat stretch of highway, and my egts are about 750-800 degrees. What I am getting at is, if i didn't open my housing up until 40 PSI my egts would be in melt-down range by the time I got out of 2nd gear.

I have a moderate amount of "fuel" on this truck. 5x0.010" and a zero plate. It took a fair bit of tuning to find the minimum geometry to keep the EGT's and drive pressure in check until the housing opened up. I am playing around with having it open up around 30psi of TIP with the additional restriction of the hx52.

Correct.

I have a moderate amount of "fuel" on this truck. 5x0.010" and a zero plate. It took a fair bit of tuning to find the minimum geometry to keep the EGT's and drive pressure in check until the housing opened up. I am playing around with having it open up around 30psi of TIP with the additional restriction of the hx52.

Yea, see I am all stock in the fuel department at the moment. I really need to get another boost gauge so I can read my drive pressure. Also I am trying to figure out a way to rig up a light system using the lever as a switch. So that I can put a light by my boost gauge, light on when housing is closed (or on when housing opens, whichever), then turn another light on when the housing hits the stop.

CSM diesel:
Nice setup!

It wouldnt hurt to see a few more..

How much slower is spoolup compared to the vgt alone?
What where wot egts before adding the extra charger?
What injectors are ya running currently?

CSM diesel:
Nice setup!

He said he is running 5x.010"

CSM diesel:
Nice setup!

I will post a couple w/o the intake for clarity over the weekend.

Spool-up was harmed a tiny bit, maybe a couple hundred rpm... nothing major.

EGT's were 1300-1400deg @ WOT / 2800rpm

5x0.010" (stock 215hp injectors)

:st: I'm happy with the set-up so far! It spools up VERY quickly and virtually smokeless!

Thank you!
I switched to drive pressure today instead of boost. And spoolup seems to b slower. But acording to those on drive pressure u need more tension on th spring to upended at 30 - 40 psi right?

Mines at 20 psi

Update

Here a couple pictures showing the hot pipe and a close-up of the hx52 tucked back in its little home.

I found that my boost like was cracked, or split in half rather, and that my pressure readings in the cab were lower than actual. I had lost my 1psi at idle upon installation of the hx52, but now it is back with the patched boost line.

boost / drive ratio with the repaired line is 1.25:1 up until 40psi drive then the VGT actuates and it is 1:1 up to 50psi.

Just took the truck on a 500mi maiden voyage and the fuel economy is untouched, still 20mpg! Just with a bit more power at my disposal now :rockwoot:

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4327.jpg

Back