HE351VE on a p-pumped 24v?

mokerz

Motivated
Has anyone tried this? A he351ve on a p-pumped 24v? I have a 00' 913p-pumped 24v 5spd. It has a helix 2 cam, 90#v springs, stainless orings, arp studs, sb DD clutch, 10 plate, 4k gsk, etc etc... I set the motor up to handle much more than what I throw at it. It's only set at 350rwhp/803rw/ftlbs @ aprox 2100rpm. Anyway, I use it as my daily driver and to tow and just blew up my hx35w, which when I built the truck 3-1/2yrs ago was planning on putting in a sps 62 or 64, or twins, like I did on my 97 12v. (different mods, much nastier) But I got busy with the house and work and my ex, knowing the HX35 was on borrowed time with the mods. I kinda like the thought of a vgt off of a 6.7cr, lites fast and can handle more air and fuel. I am going to try this. I'm sure it will take some tuning. Also, does anyone have a stand alone controler for the VGT? So if anyone has any input or thoughts that can help me speed this project along I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

the he451 with a Fleece controller would probably be better than the he341... 64mm inducer vs. a 60mm inducer. At 350hp you must have the stock injectors still I'm guessing?

the he451 with a Fleece controller would probably be better than the he341... 64mm inducer vs. a 60mm inducer. At 350hp you must have the stock injectors still I'm guessing?

You have to be careful because the 451 comes with a 60mm or a 64mm inducer. The 64mm is far less common.

yes, injectors are stock with popoff pressure adjusted for the p-pump. Wouldn't mind going to a mach 3 or 4 in the future.

You have to be careful because the 451 comes with a 60mm or a 64mm inducer. The 64mm is far less common.

True, but other than the slightly larger exhaust housing its basically the same turbo. So you might as well shop around till you find the 64mm version. Add some 150hp injectors and you would probably gain an easy 100hp if not more.

how much more lag will there be with the larger charger and a 64mm wheel. Also, where can I find said charger? Will it work with the stock injectors for now, because I am planning on purchasing injectors with my income tax return. Also does anyone have cummins part #'s or the vin of the engine it the charger would have come off of. I have an account with cummins and other truck parts places at work. Oh, and lastly thanks for the information I appreciate it.

ok, got the turbo (he351vgt $200 ebay special), now to figure out how to control it. Would a fleece controler work on a p-pumped 24v manual with all the sensor and the computer still hooked up? The only sensor that is not currently doing much is the APS (aka TPS), it is just plugged in and zip tied out of the way, it doesn't actually know the position of the accellerator pedal. Or will I have to devise some means of controling it mechanically using boost and or drive pressure. I would really like to have the exh brake function and be able to open the vanes up on the highway for optimum fuel economy. Obviously the electric controler is the ideal way to go for fine tuning etc. Any thoughts, ideas, answers? I appreciate the input! :pop:

Also, I have heard from some that it is ok to move the position (clock) the turbo exh and inlet to suit my app. I have heard from others that it is not. It has been my exp running a shop that works on class 8 trucks that it doesn't matter and it makes sense that it wouldn't. However we have no exp putting this turbo on a different application. So, what is the correct answer for this particular turbo? Thanks!

Last edited:
also, I have noticed a lot of people not plumbing in coolant to the turbo... Is the coolant just for the electronics? If I go mechanical is there any significant advantage to running coolant through this thing?

I believe the larger vgt's have water cooled center sections, but the 351 does not. I've got 4000 miles on mine and everything looks like new.

the 351ve uses water to cool the electronics.....if u ditch the electronics then there is no need for the water lines.

As of right now I don't think that Fleece has anything completely finished that would suit your application. I'm pretty sure controllers are in the works for 12v/p24v's but I don't think they have been released yet.

i was just at fleece monday and yep nothing for the p pump 351ve controller yet. they do have controllers for the 12 valve if u use a garrett vvt tho....

Back