HE551ve on 6.7 tow rig

syrupdawg

GA Diesel Mafia
I'm thinking about putting a HE551ve on a F550 that I'm putting a 6.7 in. What are your thoughts? I don't know much about VGT but would love to keep the exhaust brake but don't want to be limited to the flow of the he351ve.

I've read that the exhaust break on the 551 wont work on a 6.7 because of such small displacement. I have no idea if that's true, but its something to think about.

I have been told the 451 does very well for towing and braking by a few different people, they are a bit hard to come by and expensive to buy new though. It would provide air for just about 600 which is way more than the cooling system can handle for towing.

I was looking at a 68mm he551ve. My concern is the turbine housing getting small enough to use as an exhaust brake. I don't believe spooling it will be an issue

Sounds like a great setup if the brake works. A local guy has a s468 (non VGT) making good power so the vgt would make things interesting. I'd be surprised if no one else has tried this

Sounds like a great setup if the brake works. A local guy has a s468 (non VGT) making good power so the vgt would make things interesting. I'd be surprised if no one else has tried this

One of the Brandon's tried one a couple years ago. I want to say it was Joefarmer, but I could be wrong.

One of the guy from Ohio tried it on a 12valve iirc. Can't remember his name but he has the huge collection of Allis Chalmers tractors.

We ran a 60mm he451 on a vp truck with 6x13 and it was a very nice set up and the exhaust brake worked great. We used a fleece Controller on it.

Fleece put a 451VE on a customers truck. It worked but it was a tight fit, had to go on a second gen manifold. It was in an issue of Diesel Power a few years ago. He ran it that way for a year or so and then switched to a different setup. I personally could care less for the exhaust brake.

I remembered who the guy was with one on a 12valve goes by Signature600. @Signature600

I am interested in this as well .... have an 08 6.7 I use for a pull rig. I am looking to upgrade the turbo and want to keep the exhaust break , comes in handy pulling a 32 ft goose neck with a lot of hay on it ..... not to hi-jack the thread, interested in some turbo upgrades as well.

I ran a HE551V which is mechanically controlled on my 12v. Spooled at 1800RPM @ 23psi for launching at the strip, made 630hp @ 38psi. I was pretty happy.

It would "load" the engine at idle, but I don't know that it would function as an exhaust brake on a 5.9L or 6.7L. It might, but I don't see it giving as much braking force.

AS far as spooling, I think on a 6.7L it would be fine, especially with the higher gears of a F550. I had 3.55's and a 47RE, and it was OK, but would have been awesome with 4.10's.

I say try it....Only problem is the actuator harness connections are different from Dodge applications to Medium Duty....but that's not a deal breaker.

I might even have a complete HE551Ve if you are looking for one. I want to see if, and how it works.

Chris

Back