Head and oringing info!!!!!!!!!

jktcummins

24v GOD!!!! HAHAHA
Ok i took my head to Hamilton diesel today. Zack seems very smart on the performance subject. He had in his shop a motor with the number 6 cylinder sleve split. He said the truck was making in the 120 psi range and was running orings. I just cant believe the sleve went before the head gasket. He also said that he only leaves a 13 thousandths of pertrution with the oring. Does this sound like a winner. I dont think he is full of it i was just told that you should leave 80 to 90 thousandths pertrution with orings from other people. How does this check out?????????

Well first of all i dunno if it was a stock bore but cummins do not come stock sleeved. And on the o ring subject I think Ive heard .043 but cant remember if that is correct

i have heard of some that go as high as .017 but that was real rare. with 041 wire i hear 10 to 14 regulary. i am waiting for the new cometics gas ring gaskets.

gunracer1 said:
i have heard of some that go as high as .017 but that was real rare. with 041 wire i hear 10 to 14 regulary. i am waiting for the new cometics gas ring gaskets.

I'm sure you already know, but you can't o-ring the cometics gaskets....

Paul

I have an o-ringed and ported/polished head from Zack in liberty hill also.

His ported/polished and o-ringed head along with 12mm studs seem to be holding the 55psi that my 64mm can throw at it. So, seems good to me!!

I only live about 1 1/2 hours away from Liberty Hill where Zacks shop is.

Lance

gunracer1 said:
i know, i would just as soon never o ring one.

Yeah, you and me both!

I'm skeptical though... From past experience the Cometic gaskets work well up to a point. They are a great improvement over a stock gasket, and the fact that they are a MLS, should give them a place in the Cummins market. The head and block do need to be very flat with a MLS gasket.

Paul

well i got it back on thursday. He did an awsome job took the runners out of the exhaust side, worked the bowls and lapped the seats plus did a really good job on the oringing. I went a head and got some heavy duty valve springs from PDR. I really like Zack at hamilton diesel. He sure did do a great job. Does anyone know if you sould set the valves any different with the heavy duty valve springs or just .008 and .018??

I cant remember. I think it was like 300. But i cant remember. IT wasnt too bad. And he did a damn good job.

Did he happen to check your valve guides and the head for cracks before he did it? I keep hearing everyone say that the 24v heads are notorious for having bad valve guides and cracked heads but both zach and hellman both never mention anything about checking them? Also, did he deck your head or just file down the high points? I'm debating getting mine done by him but I keep hearing everyone say you need to have it checked for cracks and valve guides and it has to be decked but I don't feel like spending $3000+ if I don't have to.

.080 to .090?

You leave .105 for firerings to get a .090 squish. (Going from memory)

.013 protrusion is good. Might take a few more toque sequences to get the wire completely buried.

Back