• Modded 12v

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • 24v

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • CR MLS

Votes: 28 49.1%

• Total voters

White Knight

I've noticed discrepancies in suggestions for replacement HGs lately and thought I'd try to get a consensus for what everyone thinks is the best one to go with for a common rail.

So for a CR that needs a new head gasket, with or without the use of rings, what HG would you use?
A modified 12 valve in any of its sizes?
A 24v gasket?
Or a CR MLS?

I've noticed discrepancies in suggestions for replacement HGs lately and thought I'd try to get a consensus for what everyone thinks is the best one to go with for a common rail.

So for a CR that needs a new head gasket, with or without the use of rings, what HG would you use?
A modified 12 valve in any of its sizes?
A 24v gasket?
Or a CR MLS?

When not cutting for o-rings we stick with the MLS.
With o-rings a 12v gasket.

woodruff diesel has figured out how to use o-rings with the CR MLS gasket.

Well, I just got my head back with some shiny new o-rings, and slapped a standard 24v gasket in it. We'll see how she holds up to the torture I'm going to put her through.

woodruff diesel has figured out how to use o-rings with the CR MLS gasket.

I'm wondering why you would want to use orings with MLS?
In my thinking that kinda defeats the purpose of the MLS gasket.

Most guys will be fine with the MLS gasket if proper prep and installation are done. But, for the guys who are out of the norm on HP or do not have the ability to prep everything right going with the 12V gasket with o-rings is the best solution I have found.

I have seen the MLS gasket done with o-rings but I didn't like the spacing of the wire on the fire-ring of the MLS gasket.....

12v marine gasket with o-rings for me. I think the MLS gasket is out of its comfort zone at or around 800hp. It'll work for a while but not as long as a well prepped 12v marine gasket and o-rings will.

12v marine gasket with o-rings for me. I think the MLS gasket is out of its comfort zone at or around 800hp. It'll work for a while but not as long as a well prepped 12v marine gasket and o-rings will.

Having my head o-ring'd for my build.....Is this what I need to do??? Here are my mods going on..

Compounds - MPI 62/71/13ss over S480 race cover
Smarty TNT/R POD
MP8
Flux 3.3's
F1 Billet Steel Cam
Ham. 110# springs & Billet push tubes
Stg. 2 Floor It (poss. will be PPE duals once I see where I'm at with my stg2)
FASS(on already)
other basics...

How is the 12v Marine better than standard 12v Gasket??

"Marine" is a misnomer. It's really just thicker, which is used for slightly dropping compression.

"Marine" is a misnomer. It's really just thicker, which is used for slightly dropping compression.

Well im gonna be decompressed a bit anyway...we're gonna cut the pistons a hundred while there out...

I'm sure Jeff will tell me what I need best...

thanks

Not exactly, the marine used to have in improved design. Cummins has since updated all 12v HGs to "marine" standards.

They do come in standard, .010", and .020" thicker versions for a decked block.

Do you think the bypass woulda kept, or at least prolonged you blowing your HG?

Having my head o-ring'd for my build.....Is this what I need to do??? Here are my mods going on..

Compounds - MPI 62/71/13ss over S480 race cover
Smarty TNT/R POD
MP8
Flux 3.3's
F1 Billet Steel Cam
Ham. 110# springs & Billet push tubes
Stg. 2 Floor It (poss. will be PPE duals once I see where I'm at with my stg2)
FASS(on already)
other basics...

How is the 12v Marine better than standard 12v Gasket??
Sounds good to me. Those are pretty much the same mods as mine. except I'll have dual pumps before the truck comes out next year. The coolant passages on the gasket need to be opened slightly for optimal flow.

Do you think the bypass woulda kept, or at least prolonged you blowing your HG?

Well I talked with Opie in detail about this and I think my Gasket was on its way out before the twins. I think if I would of had the by-pass on that it would of been a band aid for the gasket. I would of had only tiny symptoms of a blown gasket and I could of filled the Block with coolant and boom. I have been pretty hard on my truck with pulling so I think the gasket was on its last leg and the twins just put it over the edge

Anyone have some pics of a o-ring'd head or fire-rings?

Snedge's head in his avatar is an o-ringed head. I have some pictures of mine at home, but I'll have to upload them tomorrow when I get off of work.

Well I talked with Opie in detail about this and I think my Gasket was on its way out before the twins. I think if I would of had the by-pass on that it would of been a band aid for the gasket. I would of had only tiny symptoms of a blown gasket and I could of filled the Block with coolant and boom. I have been pretty hard on my truck with pulling so I think the gasket was on its last leg and the twins just put it over the edge

Thanks Chris,

I havent been that hard on mine, no sled pulling and I I have always kept egts as low as possible. So I am HOPEING to keep my HG alive withe the help of Opies kit, thats why I havent went past 40 psi since I finished the twins, still havent had a chance to get the bypass on yet. It if blows, it blows but I hope to not have to remove my head for a while. Plus Im not runnin nearly as much fuel as you so maybe that will help too.

Back