Head gasket question

devon lock

12 valve
I was just re torquing my head on my 12 valve and i had to pull one of the studs out. I noticed coolent in the stud hole in the block. So does this mean my head gasket is gone? All season I never noticed my coolent going down at all.

I was just re torquing my head on my 12 valve and i had to pull one of the studs out. I noticed coolent in the stud hole in the block. So does this mean my head gasket is gone? All season I never noticed my coolent going down at all.

i dont think any of the head bolts go into a water jacket. i guess it could be a head gasket. or if the head was off maybe some coolant spilled into the bolt hole and got trapped there?

i dont think any of the head bolts go into a water jacket. i guess it could be a head gasket. or if the head was off maybe some coolant spilled into the bolt hole and got trapped there?

None go in water the water jacket so i think i should pull the head to be sure.

mine did the same thing the head gasket was blown not real bad but like other times it blew on me but still i wont run my truck with a blown head gasket

12 valves will leak coolant out head bolt holes from the water jackets in the block

You might have tightend the stud down to tight and then when you torqued it it cracked out the bottom of the hole. If that is the case then just dab a little silicone into the bottom of the hole.

Water jacket in block like others have said. no biggie

when yur retorquing are you doing one stud at a time or loosening them all off at the same time

coiuld just be seepage from loosening off the stud(s)

Second question is how your able to see down 4-6" into a 1/2" hole to see antifreeze? or get it out of the hole to verify it is antifreeze?

did you bottom tap your holes and possibly get into a jacket?

which stud did you pull, outer stud or an inner? each are different distances from a water jacket

that was my point,lol, although head gaskets have been re-used in a pinch, and sucessfully so by many racers including myself

oops. i loosend all mine at the same time, still holds 40psi daily so i figure theres nothing wrong with it

when yur retorquing are you doing one stud at a time or loosening them all off at the same time

coiuld just be seepage from loosening off the stud(s)

Second question is how your able to see down 4-6" into a 1/2" hole to see antifreeze? or get it out of the hole to verify it is antifreeze?

did you bottom tap your holes and possibly get into a jacket?

which stud did you pull, outer stud or an inner? each are different distances from a water jacket

Yeah i loosened off one stud at a time.
I have a snap-on flash light that is real skinny and long that fits in the hole, I had it to check piston wash on my sled through the spark plug holes.
inner studs, 2nd row in from driver side

Back