Head gasket??

bulldog77

Doing a head job on a truck for a friend. He bought a victor set with a fp3977063 head gasket. I can only find out that its a fedral mougul number. The truck has a hx35 over ht3b with studs. I prefer to use cummins head gaskets myself. Does anyone have any info on this gasket? Don't use it?

I use victor reinz gaskets with my o ringed head with zero issues at 75 +- psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn't have orings in. The last gasket that was in there was a fel pro. I've always been a believer of using cummins only head gaskets.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I'd say success lies in the prep work, and not so much the gasket. Flat head, flat deck, clean surfaces, clean threads, proper torque, proper torque lubrication.

I was going to use a Victor head gasket, but had to change heads to one without orings and went with a cometic. We will see how it does with the 467 when I get it put on.

I have used cummins and Felpro gaskets to me they look identical almost like same manufacture but sold under different brand that is just me thinking maybe I am wrong

Went ahead and bought a cummins gasket. There are little differences between the victor and cummins. Don't have pics at the moment but can later

eb3d28dea940a98c4d55dd023f96ae57.jpg
b0bee87bbbd727cae1060415895fa730.jpg

Cummins gasket on top in both pics

Last edited:
Gaskets are typically made by another company and private labeled. Interstate Mcbee stuff looks awfully similar to CAT stuff...hint hint. It wouldn't be surprising if Victor made some gaskets for cummins.

I agree with the above that a lot of it lies in the prep work. Doing work for friends is a touchy thing to consider. Suggest and use something other than what he bought and god forbid there is a failure it will all be pointed at you because he read online that blah blah blah I refuse work from friends and family to avoid all of that drama.

I said this is the last time I work on a friend's engine. I usually use mostly interstate macbee on any of my company trucks that run cummins. I stole the oil cooler gaskets out of a interstate set just because the victor gaskets looked and felt really cheap for that part of the set.

When I went down to haisley to get my firering headgasket they told me federal makes the gasket for cummins. I compared them and they are identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I searched the number on the bottom gasket it came up federal. So who knows.

Back