head rebuild questions

95cummins

Hi guys, I need some of yalls opinions. I have a vp 24v at the machine shop now. They are telling me that the head is basically junk and I would be better off finding another head. So my question is, do I find another head and leave it at that? Or do I find a CR head to put on there? Or, option 3 is just get rid of the 24v altogether and put a 12 valve in there? The truck is a daily driver with the occasional pull for the hell of it.

Thanks,
Eric

It basically needs everything. Seats, guides, the whole nine. The head has a .013" bow to it. So they would have to take probably at least .015" to clean it up. I am hoping to find a 24 valve head without valve seats.

why dont they resurf it then cut the seats so they can set your depth right. .015 isnt alot to take off a head. that doesnt make it junk. i work at a shop in michigan and if thats the issue they are telling you for your head being junk maybe go somewhere else.

why dont they resurf it then cut the seats so they can set your depth right. .015 isnt alot to take off a head. that doesnt make it junk. i work at a shop in michigan and if thats the issue they are telling you for your head being junk maybe go somewhere else.

what he said. .015 is nothing. you can take off .050 no problem off the deck. if its a cast seat head and has cracks i'd valvejob it, recut valves, hone the guides(depending how many + or - clearance you have) and run it. you wont have any coolant leaks from cracks. if the head has pressed in seats dont even think about it. get a new head and start from scratch.

what he said. .015 is nothing. you can take off .050 no problem off the deck. if its a cast seat head and has cracks i'd valvejob it, recut valves, hone the guides(depending how many + or - clearance you have) and run it. you wont have any coolant leaks from cracks. if the head has pressed in seats dont even think about it. get a new head and start from scratch.
I understand that .015 isn't a whole lot..... But the head DOES have the pressed in seats. I am just a little leery about putting a bunch of money on getting it rebuilt when I could have another.seat go at any time.

Back