Headlight problems !

Johnny99

My 98 12 valve sits a lot [ not driven much and its parked in a DRY garage] so heres the deal, I go to drive it, no headlights ! every other light works but no headlights , totally out the blue. All fuses are OK. If I pull on the high beam switch on the column the high beams will come on, but I have to hold the switch for them to stay on. I am thinking switch but which one , dash or column ? Before I tear into the dash and or column , anybody else ever have a similar problem ? Thanks & Happy New Year John

i know of three trucks here with the same problem.

1 will shut on/off every few minutes. (99 with DRL)
2 would not turn on until the motor was warm

one of was fixed by replacing the grid heater relays. not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

it s your headlight switch i just replaced mine its easy just three screws and a plug runs about thirty bucks for the part mine did the same thing i had to hold the one on the column the hole time to get home

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I used to work for a little shop in L.V. so I am used to getting to the headlight switch for gauge install! Thanks & Happy New Year everybody John

Look at the connector too. Lots of times it needs to be replaced along with the switch.

Does you year model have relays or just fuses on the lights? I don't know your year model very well as far as electricity goes, but I know my headlights on the '02 are driven by relays under the hood. That would be a lot cheaper to replace. I don't know if this post will help you or not but you might look. :D

Mine has a relay-harness upgrade done as a recall when almost new. Relay is behind switch. Have seen many just plain switches too.

Back