Headlight switch ?'s

My truck has a wiring nightmare from the switch. The previous owner used regular house switches for the headlights. I bought a pigtail from the dealer ship and it does matchup. One day I will tackle this but my instrument clust does not light up at night which drives me nuts.

Awesome!

Well we got the switch replaced last night but the deAl it plugs into is pretty effed up. Guess I need to get that fixed next

your talking the black female connector right?

If that is half melted ect. then ya go to the dealer parts counter, and tell them about it they should have or can get you the recall kit, that was for the 3500 series trucks, it comes with a new plug a resister or similar deal to put on the parking light wire, since that is the wire that due to the tow package melts down.

While there have them run your vin# for recall stuff being done, the 2500 had a recall do to the tow package harness at the end by the tailights to make sure all that has been fixed.

i've been through 4 of those g'damn switches in a year, its starting to piss me off

My headache

For the guys that requested to see this nightmare. I wish there would atleast be a burnt up switch to replace rather than this rats' nest of wiring.:bang
b5beaeca.jpg

134e585b.jpg

holy fist fukk......thats a nice present

:hehe: WOW! Never in my life have I seen such quality work in an automobile. I grew up in a body shop, been to three county fairs, and four goat ropin'....and I ain't NEVER seen notin' like that. Even the 12 awg solid conductors from the old barn!!! LOL

Just...plain....wow.

***picture saved and forwarded to electrician buddies***

The recall on the 3500 was up to I think 5-96 manuf. date. so if your truck was built before that you can get the recall kit free. If it was built after that go to Mopar Parts they have it cheaper than anywhere else I could find. The kit comes with new wires and heatshrink tubing for the ones that are melted in your harness and it also comes with a new black plug and of course the switch and instructions. Not the easiest job to do but it will fix your problem for sure. The part # is CAJM8190

Last edited:
not tryin to derail here but my headlights run fine for 20mins or so and then start flickering, if i unplug on of the lights its fine, if i use the brights it only takes a few mins, i have 80w90w blubs in it, do you guys think my problem is just like your guys? mine is a 95

oh and those 3 switches are awesome, might do mine like that lol

Did anyone ever come up with a wiring diagram on how to retrofit the 99-02 switch into the 98?

From what I understand, when they changed switches they changed the entire system from a +12v switched system to a negative switched system. I pulled a switch from an 01 apart and it looks like each circuit is independent so it shouldn't be too hard to make it work.

x2

I'm ready to do this just need to figure out the wiring.

Back