Headlights?

p7100

Swedish
Have a dodge cummins -95 with sport package. My headlights are the 2bulb type.
I wanna change to xenon bulbs, but wonder if it's the same bulb both of them which sits in one healight? Or are they 2 diffrent?

What do you guys use for bulbs??

on most sports headlights:

The low beam is a 9007 lamp, and the high beam is a 9004 lamp

If you like that company you listed, it looks like they have them on ebay:
Eurodezign Blue Xenon 8500k 9004 High/Low Headlights | eBay

They are not the same bulb in low and high, so I would try to replace them with the correct bulb.

If you want to open a can of worms, we can talk about HID replacement bulbs in factory assemblies. For me, the scatter and pattern of the light was horrible. It added a ton of light for me.. and for everyone else in the world. If you want to go HIDs, get projector lenses.. Either retrofit high quality projectors into your factory assemblies, or replace the entire assembly with a projector assembly. You can read more here:

HID Headlights - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

I bought some of the Spyder projecter headlights and was very dissappointed in them. They fit like crap and I ended up breaking one of them trying to adjust it. Does anyone know where I can find a better set of headlights preferably with HID already installed?

yeah. im running 9007 6k bixenons in my heads and 9006 6k in my fogs. i have 50 watt load resistors on my low and high beams to prevent the flickering.

i do a lot of installs locally and do custom projector retrofits and oracle halo rings also

Last edited:
yeah. im running 9007 6k bixenons in my heads and 9006 6k in my fogs. i have 50 watt load resistors on my low and high beams to prevent the flickering.

is there any difference in the brightness with the fogs compared to the headlights?

the fogs are not any more bright as they are both 35w bulbs but they seem more bright because fog lights "flood" the light whereas head lights are more of a direct beam

i have driven home on just my fogs before though. my truck has a 12inch lift so my headlights are literally parallel with peoples heads in small cars even though i have them turned down

Our trucks PCM and FCM read a resistance measurement through the headlight and tail light bulb filaments. When a filament blows the resistance drops and this lets the PCM/FCM know a bulb is out and two things happen here.

1) the modules reduce voltage and
2) the Lamp Out on the dash comes on to notify the driver

So because HIDs are gas filled and not a filament type bulb, when you plug them in the PCM/FCM module does not see "bulbs" and those two things stated above happen.

But because the voltage has been reduced, the HID kits will normally strobe or flicker.

The OEM filament type bulbs are 55w/65w bulbs. One the headlight harness plugs there are three wires. There is the low beam (12v), the high beam (12v) and the common (-).

So my taking 50 watt load resistors and adding them onto the HID harnesses, we can used them to replicate the resistance needed to trick the PCM/FCM into thinking there are bulbs there and that will reciprocate the two issues stated above. In other words, full voltage will be supplied and no Lamp Out light on the dash.

Specifically, the resistors get wired as such. We know there are two ends to each resistor and there are three wires on each headlight. Take one load resistor and splice it to the low beam (12v) wire and the other end to the common (-) wire. The other resistor goes with one end spliced to the high beam (12v) wire and the other to the same common (-) wire.

You can find load resistors on ebay.

I see so 4 resisters needed, can I get away just one on each side if the high beems aren't HID?

Thanks for your help BTW very informative.

Scott

If you are running a XENON kit which is HID LO/Halogen HI then you can use just 2 50 watt load resistors because the high beam is halogen (read: filament) and the PCM can read that resistance

ALSO......load resistors have small fins on then to dissipate heat. They absorb and waste energy and the bi-product is heat. Do not put them on anything plastic or near any wires that they can touch, melt the insulation and short out

Here are some pics of how I did mine

Microsoft SkyDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Web Apps.

Last edited:
Great Info thanks much, I found what looks like the same ones you used on Ebay as you stated. I will get them hooked up and see if that takes care of it.

Again thanks,

Scott

Well that didn't work; I must be doing something wrong :( I have the cancellers and the 50w resistor on the low beam as it’s the HID, the high beam isn't so I didn't put one the high beam side. Still same issue goes off and on and wired times increments. The company I purchased the lights from told me to clean the connectors with alcohol.

Scott

Back