Headstuds reuasable?

obben666

Is studs supposed to be reused?

I have a set of studs that has been up to 125 ft-lbs once, and when changing the head to a O-ringed head, I blew one of them in the last (125) torquesequence. So I took the already torqued studs back to 100 ft-lbs and replaced the broken one with a stock headbolt.

I got a used A1 from a guy to replace the headbolt. then I was ready to torque the head back to 125 ft-lbs again.... first stud I torqued broke again..:bang

I thought I had learned a lesson and would feel the stud being "swampy" this time, but not.
The Torquewrench is new, but I guess I have to check the calibration. It doesn´t felt like I was torqueing it more than usual when it got "swampy" though.

I´ve noticed that the A1 I got was stamped A1 and the nut I got said ARP.
The studs I got from a vendor from another forum is not stamped in any way.
The vendor told me it was A1 from Haisleys, but the box doesn´t say anything other than what year it would fit.
Instructions dont says what brand it is, no part# anywhere, no stamps on the studs, washers and nuts. The studs are light grey with "hex" on the top.
Nuts and washers are black.

Can it be a cheap set of chinese studs or can you just torque them studs to spec´s once.... ?

Good studs can be reused a time or 2. I'm pretty sure ARP has a spec for their bolts to check for stretch.

If used properly a set of ARP studs should last indefinitely. What you could possibly have is the set of studs in a white box, they are not, repeat not ARP, but probably as you suspect.
If you want ARP studs they will come in a sealed Blue ARP box with an ARP number, and weight stamp on the box, this weight is to a tenth of the gram, this is how ARP knows that the box contains every part necessary when it goes out the door. If you every have a Question about ARP , PM me .

I torqued my arp's to 130 and they felt strong as he!! not spongy at all... ???? I believe they can actually be torqued higher but not recommended... The 625's can go much higher

If used properly a set of ARP studs should last indefinitely. What you could possibly have is the set of studs in a white box, they are not, repeat not ARP, but probably as you suspect.
If you want ARP studs they will come in a sealed Blue ARP box with an ARP number, and weight stamp on the box, this weight is to a tenth of the gram, this is how ARP knows that the box contains every part necessary when it goes out the door. If you every have a Question about ARP , PM me .

White box it is...:bang

Kind of beginning being tired of people who send the junk to "the guy in Sweden that prob. doesn´t know anything about these things anyway". And there is more than one or two who seems to get rid of things that way!

That being said, I have been sent great stuff from most of the people I´ve been in touch with.

Comp461: Be sure to hear from me when it´s time for 625´s.
This time.... doing it twice, doing it right

there are people that claim that they buy ARP in bluk and get a better deal, hence the white box.

know what you getting , and who your getting it from, if it comes in a ARP box , its real. I know that its being looked in to .
if you have a question about any ARP product feel free to pm or call me.

Back