Heat exchanger removal

ehines218

I have my turbo and trans out and would like to take the heat exchanger out as well but I can't find anything explaining what all actually needs to be done. Are there any threads or anywhere I can find what I need.

I plan on doing the same and from looking at it, you just need to put plug fittings where the lines go into the block just below the thermostat and at the lower radiator hose connection. The part I'm not 100% about is what to do with the heater hose that goes into the exchanger. I would just get another fitting the same as the other on the goes into the head and replace one the same sized plugs with the fitting.

Just plug it all off. For the trans line, make a new one. Once you get into, it's very simple.

Just plug it all off. For the trans line, make a new one. Once you get into, it's very simple.

Very simple. I think the coolant lines that goes through the heat exchanger was either 1/2 or 5/8. I just bought 2 barbed fittings and capped them. I swapped my truck to a 5 speed so I just removed the heat exchanger. I'm sure some fuel line hose and two clamps would easily loop the trans lines.

Back