heater blower speed

Cummins 5.9

hi guys new to the forum i have a 2005 dodge ram cummins 5.9 and issue im having is heater blower speed only works on high i replaced the resister and it worked for a day then same thing again only on high! any help would be appreciated! thanks

My issue in this '09 is the connector that plugs onto the heater blower. I think my passengers like to kick it with their feet and have messed it up. I can wiggle it and push in on it and the blowers will work again.....until the first hard bump...then I loose 3rd speed. I need to just replace it. Maybe that's your issue. Replacing it only made you push the plug on harder and it stayed for a day. Try wiggling the plug. $.02

My issue in this '09 is the connector that plugs onto the heater blower. I think my passengers like to kick it with their feet and have messed it up. I can wiggle it and push in on it and the blowers will work again.....until the first hard bump...then I loose 3rd speed. I need to just replace it. Maybe that's your issue. Replacing it only made you push the plug on harder and it stayed for a day. Try wiggling the plug. $.02

x2 this happened on my 2010. I seriously haven't been able to find a replacement connector. I can find them in junkyards in worse condition than mine...
I think Acura's use the same blower, so I'm going to start checking those.

x2 this happened on my 2010. I seriously haven't been able to find a replacement connector. I can find them in junkyards in worse condition than mine...
I think Acura's use the same blower, so I'm going to start checking those.

They are just 1/4" spades in the connector. I might just crimp each wire and plug them in and screw the connector. Not sure which route I'll go.

Or solder pig tails on the resistor tabs and put a different inline connector further down the wire so the passengers little tootsies don't screw with the wires.

Last edited:
They are just 1/4" spades in the connector. I might just crimp each wire and plug them in and screw the connector. Not sure which route I'll go.

Or solder pig tails on the resistor tabs and put a different inline connector further down the wire so the passengers little tootsies don't screw with the wires.
Recently I saw a 2008 Resistol Mega Dually at auction, with a burned dash at the right side.
Beautiful truck, lower miles, very repairable, but had a SD non-repairable title, so it's pretty much parts.

My point is, the heater blower was the cause.

Mark.

Recently I saw a 2008 Resistol Mega Dually at auction, with a burned dash at the right side.
Beautiful truck, lower miles, very repairable, but had a SD non-repairable title, so it's pretty much parts.

My point is, the heater blower was the cause.

Mark.

Exactly why that ****ty connector needs to be gone. I fixed a school bus last Saturday that runs our kids' route. The front heater wouldn't come on and about every 5 miles one of the kids had to defrost the windshield. It was also the connector leading to the fan. Cut it out and replaced with 1/4 spades. It got loose and burned one of the contacts black. Surprised the plastic didn't catch fire.

For that matter, do you guys get terrible flow from your HVAC?
I have had mine out to replace the AC condenser, and I checked all blend doors as well as the recirc door. Then I replaced the resistance block an blower. I have all speeds, so the switch and resistor block are working, and the wires get warm going to the blower, so I assume that's working.
I actually just put a new blower on to see if I just had a bad one, no change.

It just feels like it doesn't blow that hard compared to any car I've ever had.

I think a lot of the reason for low air speed has to do with the fact that there are so many outlets.
It's a leakage thing, the more holes you have, the less comes out at a given point.

A larger fan on the blower would improve this.

Mark.

I think a lot of the reason for low air speed has to do with the fact that there are so many outlets.
It's a leakage thing, the more holes you have, the less comes out at a given point.

A larger fan on the blower would improve this.

Mark.

I'm okay with it if it's working as intended.
Do you know of any larger fans off hand? I had done some searching in the past, but didn't turn up with anything. There's actually a decent amount of room to the recirc door, so I think a larger fan would be possible.

I'm okay with it if it's working as intended.
Do you know of any larger fans off hand? I had done some searching in the past, but didn't turn up with anything. There's actually a decent amount of room to the recirc door, so I think a larger fan would be possible.

I think once your vehicle gets cooled off or heated up a little, the stock fan is fine. I keep my truck plugged in under 40F and usually after 5 miles of driving I turn the fan down and am warm. $.02 You go adding a larger fan and you'll pull more amperage through your system and who knows where that will lead. Hell, the connector that's on it now isn't even reliable enough for what it runs now.

I think once your vehicle gets cooled off or heated up a little, the stock fan is fine. I keep my truck plugged in under 40F and usually after 5 miles of driving I turn the fan down and am warm. $.02 You go adding a larger fan and you'll pull more amperage through your system and who knows where that will lead. Hell, the connector that's on it now isn't even reliable enough for what it runs now.

I do agree with you. It's fine when the vehicle is already warmed up or cooled off, and I'd likely have to get fancy with the wiring. Probably a 40A relay, and possibly put two resistor blocks in parallel to allow for a much more powerful max speed. No idea really, but I'm just surprised it's not better. When I picked up a 4th Gen over my 12V, I thought they would have had this whole HVAC thing at least on par with my 95 Jeep XJ!

I do agree with you. It's fine when the vehicle is already warmed up or cooled off, and I'd likely have to get fancy with the wiring. Probably a 40A relay, and possibly put two resistor blocks in parallel to allow for a much more powerful max speed. No idea really, but I'm just surprised it's not better. When I picked up a 4th Gen over my 12V, I thought they would have had this whole HVAC thing at least on par with my 95 Jeep XJ!

Dodge leaves something to be desired with every generation of truck they offer. You'd think they'd learn and improve each generation. Nope. They just change it all around and make issues where there wasn't before.

I guess running two resistor blocks in parallel might gain you some speed on intermediate selections, but top end is direct. Wiring from 07.5-09

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the image! So it looks like the controller is completely separate of the blower motor (so at least Dodge learned there). The two resistor blocks over one would be to 1) increase/double WOT max current so it wouldn't melt if I put larger wires and blower 2) I'd still have some sort of speed control, even if my lowest setting got twice as fast.

Not sure how applicable it is to 3rd gens, but I had the same issue in my 98 with it eating the resistor blocks. Turns out the fan motor was so full of crap between the stator and rotor that it was very hard to turn and drawing more power. I swapped in a different fan from a 2nd gen that actually turned nicely and never had an issue since. When I first got the truck 12 years ago, I found on cold days after I turned the fan from high to any other setting I'd get a faint smell, slightly acidic. I always though I had some issue with my batteries. But everything checked out there. Once I fixed up the fan, I've never had it since.

Not sure how applicable it is to 3rd gens, but I had the same issue in my 98 with it eating the resistor blocks. Turns out the fan motor was so full of crap between the stator and rotor that it was very hard to turn and drawing more power. I swapped in a different fan from a 2nd gen that actually turned nicely and never had an issue since. When I first got the truck 12 years ago, I found on cold days after I turned the fan from high to any other setting I'd get a faint smell, slightly acidic. I always though I had some issue with my batteries. But everything checked out there. Once I fixed up the fan, I've never had it since.

I do get a faint plastic burning smell every now and then. Maybe I need to pull the fan and check it out. Glad you posted that.

I do get a faint plastic burning smell every now and then. Maybe I need to pull the fan and check it out. Glad you posted that.

That smell would be insulating materials, in the motor, near the point of combusting.

Mark.

It came and went three or four times a few months ago. I guess I better check it out.

l would be cautious about putting in a larger fan, larger fan equals more work, which equals more amperage, which could lead to issues with the "marginally" sized electrical system we deal with.
I had a car that burnt up the resistor, when I had the fan out, I shot a little lube around the shaft on the bearing, spun much easier after that!

Back