heater core delete on 2nd and 3rd gens

WUnderwood

Just curious if anyone has disconnected the rubber hoses running to the firewall for the heater core on a 2nd or 3rd gen with an automatic transmission, and what, if any were the side effects of doing so.

Thanks in advance.

As long as you hook them together, there should be no ill effects other than no heat

It' snot that hard to replace the heater core, if yours is leaking.

Will I did it to my truck, just got a new rubber hose to bypass it. It has been hooked back up because I had foggy windows one day and couldn't defrost them.

Granted, mine is a manual, but I just did 3 months with a bypassed heater core. No ill-effects other than chilly morning drives from work. I love my working heater core!

I did it to my old puller about 5years ago. never had a problem. Just no heat. Which i didn't need anyway.

Never had an issue with my bypass and it was an auto. I just turned it around in the back. Almost 4 years like that. Fixing it now though. Dashes are easy i don't see why it's so hard. 7 bolts some plugs, drop the steering column and pull it back far enough to fit in there. Fix it and put back together.

mine was small nightmare of breaking the dash and replacing with an after market unit. it fixed but i was not happy about it big headache. i pulled way more than 7 bolts to get mine out too

I just pulled two dashes out of my trucks to swap them and it's at most 10 bolts.

94-97 dash though

98-02 dash is 5 across the firewall, loosen the two on the side kick panels, remove the panel under the steering column (3 screws) and 2 nuts on the steering column. Then its two screws that clamp the heater core lines in the hvac unit.

Back