Hello from Scotland!

Whitey_VE_pump

Hi all. I'm not a US resident or owner of any cummins etc as much as I'd love to be ��. I want to learn as much as I can about bosch ve pumps as I'm building a tuned bmw e36 325tds touring. It already has the bosch ve mechanical conversion I'm aiming for 500hp or as close as possible and around 6000 rpm.
Regards

Whitey

Welcome!

Where in Scotland? I spent a month there as a teenager, in Livingston mostly. We have another member that was there for several years.

Welcome!!!

I always like seeing those old Volvo and Benz diesels just ripping around! Im suprized not more of us Americans are doing the same.... would be cool to line one up and one of the big diesel shows!!

Well I'm from a small seaside town called Ayr. It's a lovely place but dying I guess anyway that's another story for another time. My car is on the back burner just now as the wife and I have just bought another doer upper so will be busy with that
Anyway dudes thanks for the welcome!

Any pictures of your ride? If possible some more information on the pump conversion.

FB_IMG_1455222393654.jpg

FB_IMG_1455222385298.jpg

20151109_204145.jpg

20151113_180909.jpg

20151109_200806.jpg

20160502_111741.jpg

So here we have my wee beauty! So at the minute I'm changing the timing chains. I've also done an SMF conversion and stage 3 paddle clutch.
The mechanical conversion on these is fairly simple if you can find a pump from the 324td or 524td only thing was as mine was the later m51 engine the boss around the original pump shaft was larger than the mechanical pump but I machined a spacer from aluminium (al-yoo-min-eh-um) hehehe then had to bastardize the accelerator assembly to accept a cable

Nice ride!

I'm not messing around with a conversation, I just found it interesting since I'm still playing around with VE's.

Ahh groovy! And thanks! Well I had it running mechanical but when it revved from idle occasionally wouldn't drop back to idle. Then I skipped the timing chains when tightening the pump shaft nut and now have to replace them and sprockets as they're worn. I couldn't understand why it wouldn't drop back to idle though but I'll figure it. Also planning some thermobaric plasma coating for the piston tops and combustion chambers to keep the heat containedistribution which I have access to at work.

You probably had the fuel screw just a touch too tight and it did what we tend to call "hang".

Mark.

Yeah now you say that I think I had remedied it buy it's been a few months since I last touched it. I did index the throttle arm and back the fuel screw off also.

Back