Helmets Required at Outlaw Truck Nationals

pbft

Curmudgeon
NOTICE!!!

All competitors must wear helmets at the Outlaw Truck Nationals 1/8th mile drags at Evergreen Speedway at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds in Monroe, WA July 12th. Per Randy, this is a track rule. No one will be allowed to compete without a helmet.

Jim

What's the deal with all these tracks adding this rule? Has there been a rash of head injuries in 18 second cars that I am unaware of? Or has a helmet manufacturer managed to convince an insurance company that they are "necessary"?

It's one thing to have them with 13.99 and quicker (as has been the longstanding NHRA rule), but the likelihood of crashing a slower vehicle just seems a bit too remote. I hit higher speeds driving to the track in Billings (without a helmet) than I did on the track (under much more controlled conditions).

I'll bet that once they get more tracks (or the NHRA) requiring helmets across the board, they'll lobby for a shorter replacement cycle (which has been getting shorter and shorter ever since they instituted helmet expiration dates about 25 years ago).

I agree helmets eventually degrade (I have some old ones where the padding has fallen apart), but I think some other items (like the 2 year rule on harnesses) are a bit much.

Don't get me started on some of the other items, like metal transmission shields which must be replaced or recertified every 5 years, or flexplates every 3 years.

Regards,
Michael Pliska, who just spent way too much money updating all his safety equipment on his gasser race car

Helmet Update

Per Randy and Evergreen Speedway, any DOT approved helmet may be worn at the NHRDA Outlaw Truck Nationals event. Sorry, NO BIKE HELMETS OR FRISBEE HATS............

Jim

That's better news, at least it doesn't have to be the latest NHRA-approved spec!

Regards,
Michael

Back