help 3.73 gears 5 speed 3rd gen gear selection

CTD03

One Hot 03
i need help with my truck in figuring out the right gear to pull in with my truck but the problem is i have a 5 speed 3rd gen and 3.73 gears.

i tried to pull in 3rd low and hit the rev limiter 3500rpm all the way down the track not very fun at all. so then i said i will run 2nd high thats in between 4low and 3rd low????

so 2nd high my truck runs a little over 3000 rpms going down the track and give me about 30 mph wheel speed and 18 mph track speed but it really hard on my DD and already melted on and i only slip my clutch for 8-10' most of the time i am off my clutch with in 5 feet

if i get valve springs will 3rd low help out.

O i run 33" tires on 17" wheels

i don't see why you cant run 4th on low side. i run a 33" tire (255/85/16) and 4th is a better gear for me, i have 3.54's too.

kipo how many forums you belong 2 ...LOL

i am tring to find the right gear having trouble keeping clutches alive

i think valve springs will be the ticket to run 3rd low

You need to stack up with a smarty programmer to those RPM's up around 4000. That will really help you.

well thats what it looks like to me then i could run 3rd gear low

does any body else have a 3rd gen with 3.73 and a 5 speed

4th low is faster than 2nd high. valve springs alone will not help the rpms, like mentioned you need a program to allow for 4000-4100 rpms

4th low is faster than 2nd high. valve springs alone will not help the rpms, like mentioned you need a program to allow for 4000-4100 rpms

O i will be getting both valve springs and i already have the tnt revo so when the valve spring come in the mail i will be gettting ( TNT R ) for the the rpm i need

really i guess there is no 5 speed CR trucks pulling at all :(

go figure i am an odd ball

THere are a few out there!!

2nd is 11. something for a final gear you'll need the extra RPM to run that gear. why dont you change the gears. is this a puller or a street truck??

My bad, I see the 5 speed now.

yea just 2, cummins forum and this one.
got booted from DTR for pushing dan's clutches.
I agree with 98xtreem:

the smarty wild thing or revo is a bad dude. I got a couple buddies running them and they are stout.
What plate load you running? What buttons?
The iron buttons seem to be lasting a lot longer according to Dan.

O i will be getting both valve springs and i already have the tnt revo so when the valve spring come in the mail i will be gettting ( TNT R ) for the the rpm i need

you should definately put the springs in but i didnt want you to think just the springs were going to do the job. there was one cr 5 speed here locally but he has busted second gear twice and he tried 4th low with a triple disc and was not able to light it. 3rd low was too slow for him but this truck is a very good runner. if and when you make enough power stay away from second gear in the 4500 its very weak you need tires/axle ratio to get the truck in 4th low.

THere are a few out there!!

2nd is 11. something for a final gear you'll need the extra RPM to run that gear. why dont you change the gears. is this a puller or a street truck??

this was street truck know its a more of a let it sit and pull, drag race and

do i have to pull your horse trailer(gf ggggggggrrrrr) :)

its a daily race truck not very street friendly i do like to drive it to the pulls thats all so i dont mind it being a pain in the butt

My bad, I see the 5 speed now.

yea just 2, cummins forum and this one.
got booted from DTR for pushing dan's clutches.
I agree with 98xtreem:

the smarty wild thing or revo is a bad dude. I got a couple buddies running them and they are stout.
What plate load you running? What buttons?
The iron buttons seem to be lasting a lot longer according to Dan.

i am pushing his clutches also

i am running ceramic DD 3850 well i will be soon

you should definately put the springs in but i didnt want you to think just the springs were going to do the job. there was one cr 5 speed here locally but he has busted second gear twice and he tried 4th low with a triple disc and was not able to light it. 3rd low was too slow for him but this truck is a very good runner. if and when you make enough power stay away from second gear in the 4500 its very weak you need tires/axle ratio to get the truck in 4th low.

if i new how to get the ratio i would love to try to run 4 low so far i am stuck to 3rd low and chancing 2nd high

can any one help me out with the ratio i need

i am running 33" tires

@ 4000 with yr combo in 3rd low yr looking at 23 MPH + or - not to bad if u can get hooked yr ground speed should'nt fall to much mayb to 20 but then again some are mid to upper 20s depending on trac and sled , I would shoot for 28 to 32 wheel speed yr ground will vary 3 to 8 MPH depending on conditions

@ 4000 with yr combo in 3rd low yr looking at 23 MPH + or - not to bad if u can get hooked yr ground speed should'nt fall to much mayb to 20 but then again some are mid to upper 20s depending on trac and sled , I would shoot for 28 to 32 wheel speed yr ground will vary 3 to 8 MPH depending on conditions

thanks very much i am still in search of 5 speed cr trucks
i sure hope some guys i can lead me in the right direction

if i new how to get the ratio i would love to try to run 4 low so far i am stuck to 3rd low and chancing 2nd high

can any one help me out with the ratio i need

i am running 33" tires

if you cant pull hi 2nd dont try 4th low, it will be faster than 2nd gear!!!

Pulling 3rd low you'll always be at the back of tha pack IMO though. To compete you'll have to go with 2nd high or get you enough power to lie 4th on the low side but that's gonna be even harder on the clutch. I think your gonna have to go with 2nd hi. I pull it alot in my six speen it's just the hi side is alot harder on stuff.

so what would i have to do to the high side

i am thinking billet 2nd gear any thing else i would need to do for the nv4500 to make it stronger??

so what would i have to do to the high side

i am thinking billet 2nd gear any thing else i would need to do for the nv4500 to make it stronger??

what if i would got up to 35" tires and run 3rd low and smarty tnt-R

Back