**HELP** ABS and Brake light on

1997 Dodge 2500 4X4 CTD. The brake light and the ABS light are both on (On dash), I drove it today and I have a vibration while stopping at low speeds. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have not done any mods to the truck and it has new brakes all around over a month ago.

Normaly when both lights are on it's low on fluid. Need to get the codes read.

mine did the same thing your brakes are worn ur low on fluid an the shaking is ur rotors are warped well at least on of them

I will check the fluids in the morning. I thought about a fuse??????? Would the vibration start all at once when the lights come on? Thank you for the info.

ABS sensor on the rear end just above the drive shaft area on the housing.
by chance you slam on the brakes ???
i did once and as soon as i did the sensor went bad. its no big deal to replace.

Moneymaker got it. He only has rotors on the front and only has abs in the rear. Check the fluid if ya want, but it is for sure the sensor.

Yup, I'd say sensor too. That's what happened to one of our 98. The sensor didn't go bad, but it's magnetic, and it was covered in metal shavings from the spider gears breaking. The brake and ABS lights were on, but we didn't have any vibration that I recall. Just some nasty crunching sounds going around cornors.

do you have vaccum or hyrovac if you get a small leak in vacum to your booster it will illuminate both lights

i would say its your rear wheel speed sensor. i have worked on trucks withe both lights on and when i changed the sensor the lights went off

great info. Thanks a lot. The fluid levels are fine. I will check the sensor. I checked the codes and it came up no codes. The sensor makes sense. MONEYMAKER you said just above the drive shaft. I would assume I could purchase one and replace it correct. Thanks for all the great help.

Might want to check your brakelight switch adjustment. You can adjust it by pushing down on the brake pedal and holding it while pulling out on the switch arm. Then release and it will reset the switch.

If it's the speed sensor, won't the speedo quit working? Mine did that in Indy a couple of years back. It was fine when I replaced the sensor, but a few months later both lights came on and it's just been that way ever since. It's no big deal. Just no rear ABS.

yea the speedo quit working when the vss went out on my Mom's Dakota and on my Ram.. Both lights came on as well..

when mine went out the speedo kept working ! just the lights came on.
with these trucks i guess any thing can happen. the one on the rear diff is for the ABS. the other that controls the speedo is on the tran's. but i know strange things have happened.

Back