HELP ASAP!! For I must have sinned!! 6.0 Surging/dieing

Craig_C

Resident Smartass
Dad has a 6.0L, 04 model. This morning on his way to work he had to nail the brakes to miss a herd of deer. He said after that the truck lost some power. He drove a few more miles to McD's, and it died in the drivethrough. I came out to look at it, it was cranking over extremly fast, no start. After fumbling around a bit, and more cranking it finally started. It seems to rev ok, but after a rev it will come down and die, or will almost die, and start surging.

No codes, according to my genaric OBDII scanner, I put enough fuel in the truck to rule out being low/out of fuel. Any advice on where to start? Before I even tried to start the truck I pulled the engine mounted fuel filter cap off and it was full of fuel. Oil level is good, with fairly fresh synthetic oil.

Any chance the harness got pulled somehow during the stop? Just slamming on the brakes shouldn't really affect anything that much. I'd say check for a connector having come half way off or anywhere it looks like the wiring harness is chewed/stretched/rough

Anything is possible....but I know very little about powerstrokes. This engine has actually been pretty good to him, almost 200k miles and very little problems. It does have some injectors starting to stick, but other than that and doing the EGR delete, it has been a good one....so far!!

Not sure but do these have the fuel pump shutoff down by the passenger's feet like the 7.3 did

Dad went and got the truck this afternoon....said it fired up and drove home like normal! Guess we will see what it does in the morning with colder temps out.

How much fuel was in the tank when this happened? If it was anything less than 1/2 tank the fuel may have sloshed forward leaving the fuel pick up exposed with no fuel and sucked a bunch of air into the fuel system. Fill the truck with fuel and cycle the key 6-8 times like you would do after changing the fuel filters

Truck did fine this morning. It had between 1/4 and half a tank. I would think the he cranked it enough to get fuel picked back up, and the engine mounted fuel filter was full when I got to the truck.

I would say that's what happened then if it's fine this morning.

I never lift for those fur little bastards and they won't sit still if they hear the turbo spool up.:poke:

Lol yeah, Im been kinda wanting to whack one....need a few front end parts!!

But the old man would rather stalk them through the woods all day and shoot it than run it over!

Back