Help diagnose

Damn, that sucks Aaron. You guys can borrow the SB I just took off if you want, just has a small crack in the eh.

Yeah it does, we were getting close to finishing this thing. Chris said it was probably a small contaminant in the oil which makes perfect sense. The motor is only on its second oil change and this weekend is the hardest its been pushed since we got it running. I might get an oil analysis and dissect the fliter.

Like said more timing will help the haze

But will it clear up the low RPM, low load stumble?

white haze and smoke along with the popping to me is low timing. Are you sure the motor is tdc? My truck at 25 and 30 degrees was very smooth. Hazed but that was from the 6x18 injectors.

Are you sure the motor is tdc?

Thats what Im starting to second guess. I made two attempts using a dial indicator through the injector bore with a dowel. My marks were only a few (2-3) mm's off on the balancer. Could I have done it on the wrong stroke? I mean the way I did it was with the #1 cylinder valves closed like you were at TDC when finding valve lash...

I was gonna pin the pump and and move the balancer fore or aft of my TDC locator/mark and see if that changed anything, but we'll have to wait till the chargers back I guess.

As long there was lash on both valves you werent inbetween strokes....the pump shaft didnt move of slip when torqueing down the nut at all did it?

the pump shaft didnt move of slip when torqueing down the nut at all did it?

I doubt it, I clean the shaft/washer/nut as well as I can each time. I try to be smooth with the TQ wrench when tightening'er down.

Like yoshi said both valves will have lash but your piston could still be off. With my ATI damper that has degree marks, the piston floated for almost 4 degree so i split that in half for my tdc. That right there could drop you to 16 pretty easy

So hypothetically, would it pop/stumble with the timing around 16* with the amount of fuel were trying to move?

I would think at 16* it would run stronger on the bottom end than if it were at 20*. That thing should be smoking like a train until that turbo lights

I would think at 16* it would run stronger on the bottom end than if it were at 20*. That thing should be smoking like a train until that turbo lights

Same here, but to me it seems like its all top end. Would to high of an advance pop/stumble. Because it runs very well up top...:nail:

Maybe re-set the timing to see if that helps..its worth a shot.

My truck is set up at 500cc right now at 24* timing and flat hauls ass. No popping or anything.

7x.012 at 255 bar. Ran the same injectors at 400cc and 20* timing at VP pop offs with no issues either.

Could a barked up crossover tube cause popping/excessive white/blue smoke if fuel was making its way around the injector? I got the timing all squared away and the truck has been running good since tuesday, now all of a sudden the low end popping/stumble/smoke is back. It ran fine until this afternoon when traffic slowed on the high way and was driving in the lower rpms.

thanks for the input...

You need to remember that if the P-pump is pinned at 20 degrees, the engine timing is at 40 degrees.

You need to remember that if the P-pump is pinned at 20 degrees, the engine timing is at 40 degrees.

If done correctly the engine should be at 0* TDC and the pump should be at 20* BTDC.

Back