Help Diagnosing BIG problem......

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
So Ill keep this as short as I can but still give as much info as possible...

Driving the truck, got on it a little and it started to stumble. Looked at guages and nothing was weird. Drove about another mile and the stumble got a lot worse. I then noticed that there was a MASSIVE amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Made it a little bit farther and turned off the road and the truck would hardly idle at 3-400 rpm and wouldnt respond to any throttle input. Shut it down and noticed a lot of what Im guessing oil/fuel in the exhaust. Popped the hood and the same all over the turbos/side of the engine and some around the CP3.

Looked in the light and its not a head gasket or anything like that. Drained the oil and about 6 gallons came ouut and lost 1/2 tank of fuel on the short drive, so Im guessing thats where the extra came from.

Did a little diagnosing and think I found the problem to be a CP3 shaft seal that I thought failed and pushed fuel into the timing case. Replaced the CP3 and right now Im a little worried that it could be more of a problem Im not seeing.....

Truck turned over and stumbled a bit after the CP3 swap but now there is nothing. Also, no codes and cant tell if fuel is still coming out the exhaust.....Cranked it for a bit, but ran the battery down after a few tries, so called it a night.

Any way to test injectors in the truck? Im fearing the bad CP3 took out some injectors, but I dont want to send them off until I can figure out if they are bad or not. Any suggestions to try or should I just keep trying to get it started???

Last edited:
If it's taking a long time to build rail pressure I have some caps that are used to isolate which injectors are possibly leaking by removing the injection line and capping the port for the line at the rail and seeing if it will then build rail pressure. If it all of a sudden is able to build good rail pressure with a port capped then that injector is leaking by. I'm not a huge common rail guru though. Hope you get it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a side question to add. Will that much diesel in the oil cause bearing damage?

That I dont know, and is my biggest worry. And thats why I want to do everything I can to fix what went wrong before I drive it. But I do plan on doing 2 or 3 more oil changes before it gets driven again.

If it's taking a long time to build rail pressure I have some caps that are used to isolate which injectors are possibly leaking by removing the injection line and capping the port for the line at the rail and seeing if it will then build rail pressure. If it all of a sudden is able to build good rail pressure with a port capped then that injector is leaking by. I'm not a huge common rail guru though. Hope you get it figured out.

I did a little research and saw that a time or two. Im looking at borrowing a CTS to try and use that to monitor rail pressure this weekend when I have a lot more time. And moght move to the cap prosedure too.

I did a little research and saw that a time or two. Im looking at borrowing a CTS to try and use that to monitor rail pressure this weekend when I have a lot more time. And moght move to the cap prosedure too.

Just make sure you get the caps that are made for that procedure not just something from the local hardware store or it might turn from a cap into a bullet once rail pressure builds.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel in oil, as far as bearings are concerned.

That much fuel I bet you have a cracked injector. Pull them and look them over, it might be amazingly apparent which one it is.

Also check your #4 injector line, they are known to crack and cause issues with starting and running with a stumble.

Friend of mine has cracked two sets of injectors in his 04, stopped as soon as he knew what was going on, both times he drained out 6ish gallons of oil/fuel mixture and it was coming out the blowby tube.

As for bearing damage, as long as you were not running around with that much fuel in your oil you will be fine.

Kinda what I was thinking. If it wasn't in oil long and weren't hard on it then prob not an issue.

I had a seal blow on a vp and pump the engine full of diesel. It was blowing out the blow by pipe when we finally noticed the smoke, it was dark and happen to notice it in someones headlights. I don't know how long it happened before we caught it but drove it 50 miles home drained it replaced the vp and engine never had a problem. Probably put 40,000 on it since.

That much fuel I bet you have a cracked injector. Pull them and look them over, it might be amazingly apparent which one it is.

Also check your #4 injector line, they are known to crack and cause issues with starting and running with a stumble.

Friend of mine has cracked two sets of injectors in his 04, stopped as soon as he knew what was going on, both times he drained out 6ish gallons of oil/fuel mixture and it was coming out the blowby tube.

As for bearing damage, as long as you were not running around with that much fuel in your oil you will be fine.

Before I try and start the truck Im going to pull them just to give them a look over. I thought it might have been the line right off the bat, but didnt see much fuel on that side of the engine.....wish I could have been that lucky!!! Didnt look at the blow by tube, but it wasnt running after I got out. Oil seemed to be coming out of everywhere, so it was hard to track down exactly what was going on.

Kinda what I was thinking. If it wasn't in oil long and weren't hard on it then prob not an issue.

I drained it soon after, so it wasnt sitting in that mix long. As long as I didnt drop a tip, I would think the motor will be fine.....Turbos too I hope!

Just for Information that I remembered today....

230HP injectors that were installed 75,000miles ago...... Maybe performance injectors dont last as long???

Had one that did the same thing. Cracked injector body. When you pull the valve cover see if there are any really clean spots above one of the injectors or around the injector hold down. That will be the injector that is cracked.

Had one that did the same thing. Cracked injector body. When you pull the valve cover see if there are any really clean spots above one of the injectors or around the injector hold down. That will be the injector that is cracked.

DING DING!!!! We have a winner....Pulled the valve cover and instantly noticed the inside had a really clean spot on it.... Cranked it a few times and this showed up....Looks like we have our main culprit.... Not sure what all happened by both this and the lower pump went out. Guess it will run a little better with some new sticks in it!

4ca48665-4418-456b-808f-295db6bb6670_zpsifkkblnu.jpg

Back