Help me figure out this leak! Please!

02HO4X4

Banned
Okay, my truck has been siting for 3 days waiting on front end parts:doh:... Well i noticed this leak today. It is coming from the driver side back wheel.. It is driping off of my rear rotor. I checked the brake lines and they are fine... So what could this be? What would cause this? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00310-20090625-1227.jpg
    IMG00310-20090625-1227.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 12
Take the axle out and replace the seal.

Ask Amish about how much fun it is.. :hehe:

looks like its coming from the hub and bearing seal. you just need to remove the axles, brakes and hub assembly. seals are cheap. not a hard job at all.

Well it looks like after i finish my track bar and dss steerind satbilizer tomorrow this will be part 2! What fun this should be! And i have no help! So i hope both are 1 man jobs!

Yep inner seal. It's not that hard. You will need a large 2 9/16 socket for the hub nut.

So, do i need to mark the axle before i pull it out? do i have to take the diff cover off?

So, do i need to mark the axle before i pull it out? do i have to take the diff cover off?

NO and NO axle is just retained by a nut . Remove the axle shaft bolts and remove shaft. Then you can access the nut . The axle shaft will have a metal gasket at the flange.

Remove nut and outer bearing , then remove the hub. Now you will be able to view the seal. Replace seal and reverse the process. Torq nut to 90lbs.
then back off 1/4 turn then retorq to 90lbs again.
Caution though.

Pack the inner and out bearings with grease , if not you will burn them up in short order. Reason is that it takes along time for the diff lube to migrate down the axle shaft to oil the bearings. You may have to add a pint of fluid to the rear. This is because the hubs hold oil.

The oil seal is a common part so any Napa or Carquest will it . The outer metal seal can be reused if you wish.

Yeah I was on the phone with another customer, sorry. I'm off now.

Well it wasn't the axle seal. When I took the brack caliper off both of the boots on the pistons were dry rotted and coming apart. I pressed the brake pedal and sure enough fluid went everywhere! I have no clue how to fix this. I got very frusrated with the truck so I put jack stands under it and called it a night!

Well it wasn't the axle seal. When I took the brack caliper off both of the boots on the pistons were dry rotted and coming apart. I pressed the brake pedal and sure enough fluid went everywhere! I have no clue how to fix this. I got very frusrated with the truck so I put jack stands under it and called it a night!

Seriously?

You replace the caliper.....Not hard..

If you can't replace a caliper, this might not be the forum for you:D

It's about the easiest thing to replace on a truck.

Back