Help me paint my truck!

SPEEDSHIFT

Alright, I need to repaint my half ton here pretty quick and I need some help from the guys who paint cars... I have been messing around with fixing my own dents and scratches on my white truck lately and have learned a lot just by trial an error. I am very far from being good at it though and want to attempt to paint my half ton satin black. It has a several dents that aren't horrible but need to be fixed. THIS IS NO SHOW TRUCK, I just need it to look nice, not perfect.

What I need from you guys is a list of what I need to buy. I have been watching youtube videos and searching forums for a while, so I think I have a good idea of what I need, but I am still uncertain. I don't know what size or brand of blocks to buy, what filler, ect.

I would like to fix the dents it has, sand the existing paint, and spray the rest but I dont know if I should spray the whole truck in primer over the paint or use a primer surfacer, then sealer, the top coat, ect.

I would like to use the Summit brand of paints, primers, ect as they are cheap. They get good reviews on auto body forums... Also, what paint gun should I buy? I have always heard good things about DeVilbiss guns, and found some fairly cheap online, but if theres something cheaper I am all about it. I have guns, but one is siphon feed and the other is a HF HVLP.

http://www.eastwood.com/devilbiss-auto-paint-and-priming-system.html?srccode=ga220010&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=zzproduct_ads&adtype=pla&kw=&matchtype=&network=g&creativeid=15752128407&placement=&producttargetid=40408680207&gclid=CJPj2cXH4bgCFSlo7AodVSMAnw

I bought a Electric DA sander made by Makita, but wasnt sure if the air sanders were better... I will get some pics of the dents and progress as I go.

I appreciate any help yall can provide!

I want it to look like this...

DSC_1015_zpsdd43527d.jpg

Yeah, it looks good in cell phone pics. Ill get some of the dents, scratches and flaking paint. If the paint was good, I would just scuff it and spray on some satin clear for the look I wanted. However, there isnt a good panel on the entire truck so I might as well just repaint the whole thing.

I normally dont give two chits about paint, but I have big plans for this truck and they wont happen with dents and a crap paint job.

Finish truck paint later, thats how its supposed to go

Yeah, I am trying to get the truck together as fast as I can. Right now the block and head are at the machine shop and I am almost done with the twins and trans. The only things for me to work on right now are the interior and paint. It all has to be done, so I might as well get started fixing dents, and sanding paint. I cant do anything else for the next few weeks.

Shaved door handles. Need a side skirt cause the front bumper sits way low. If you go with a flat get some color in there some where and I will look tits.

Personally I love my matco gun it's hvlp. Also I use Shop Line by PPE is cheap and it works very well. Make sure you keep it extremely clean and smooth, but I never have done matte so I don't know what to do for that. Nor do I want too.

From what I have heard the Satin black will hide imperfections better than a gloss. I like the look of satin, not really the chalky flat black that looks like primer.

Yea the satin will hide the imperfections better. If you want to hide them, paint it primer gray. LOL

how bad is the truck peeling? can you pull more clear off with your nails or has it stopped to its worst point? I know when we have a peeler come in our shop there is one of two ways to fix it. if you can take compressed air and move along the peeled lines and it will continue to blow clear/base off you have a definite problem where its best to strip the truck cause of adhesion problems in the top coat and possibly base coat. second way is, if it stops where its at i would just feather the edges out, dolly out most of the dents that you can, wipe your rough coat of filler, sand semi smooth and prime. after your first prime you will want to "guide coat" the primed surface to where you can pickup any of of the small dents/ low spots you may or may not have missed. (guide coating is simply taking a can of dark colored spray paint and lightly misting it over the panel you are working. the flat pots will sand down to your primer of choice and the low spots you will see a definite change in color in the dented area. you want to pick a color spray paint that contrasts with the color of the primer. black is usually a good choice unless using a real dark primer.)

after your first prime and guide coating it im sure you will find something you missed. re-wipe areas and prime again. usually by the second prime the panel should be good and move on to the next, dont sand that panel again till your ready to paint it. after all panels have been worked and primed twice you should be ready to lay color. I usually the day of painting wet sand the primer slick with a long block on all the large flat areas with 600 grit wet paper to get rid of any orange peel that may be in the primer. this last step shouldn't be too time consuming and should go rather quick. before rolling in the booth/garage to spray I would wash the entire vehicle with a grey scotch brite pad and some dawn dish washing soap to get rid of any last grime or body oils you may have gotten on the parts while working them. After its good and dry and you are ready to spray use some good quality pre cleaner and wipe the entire truck down again. you want it clean, clean, clean!

the more time you spend on sanding and getting the truck slicked out in the pre stages the more you will enjoy the result. it takes time and dont rush the chemicals, they have a flash time for a reason. hope this helps

James

photo6.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you James.

The I can pull the peeling off by hand easily, I planned on stripping it down to the original paint, then primering. Should I spray the whole truck in a surface primer first? The truck has a lot of small scratches that go to the original primer, so I figured that would help fill all of them in. Then after everything is straight go over it with a urethane primer?

What about Eastwoods paint? I cant find any prices for the PPG Shop Line...

What size/brand blocks should I use? The Durablock or??

Back