Help me pick a turbo

MMAguy

Ok guys, I use this truck mainly for towing. It's a powerstroke 03' 6.0L I have EGR delete, 3 1/2" turbo back exhaust, stage 2 intake, intake horn, SCT programmer, head studs and I want to do a turbo now. I may or may not do injectors later. it depends on how work keeps going. If it keeps going crazy, I'm buying a new 6.7. Anyways, this truck is used mostly for towing, tires are 265's and gears are 3:73. I really like the VGT. Please give me all info, good or bad. If you tried a turbo and it sucked, please tell me. If you really liked one, let me know, here's what I am looking at,

Industrial injection VGT stage 1 or stage 2 (more likey a 1)

Elite diesel's GT-SR VGT turbo

Trusted performance- they have a new turbo coming next month (hybrid maybe?)

Liberator performance- 64mm VGT turbo, websites claims lower EGT's, quicker spoolup, you name it

Innovative diesel- they have II stage 1 hybrid, they also have a stage 2 VGT, either pick a 62mm or 64mm VGT. This one alos says stronger than stock, quicker spoolup and 200 degree lower egt

Turbo engineering_these are the 3 models I am looking at, says they are upgraded VGT turbo's

The Stage I/White Lighting is a 62mm inducer/87mm exducer Compressor Wheel and flows 53lb/min at a 2.5 pressure ratio. Also, has a efficiency of 74%.

The Stage II/Silver Lighting is a 64.7mm inducer/88mm exducer Compressor Wheel and flows 60lb/min at a 2.5 pressure ratio. Also, has a efficiency of 72%

The Stage III/Black Lighting is a 77mm Tubine Wheel with a 66mm inducer/96mm exducer Compressor Wheel and flows 70lb/min at a 2.5 pressure ratio. Also, has a efficiency of 70%

DEFUSER turbo- vgt hybid turbo +4mm compressor wheel

Spartan 64mm non-vgt turbo (don't ask me why, maybe it's special)

Please throw out all opinions and experiences...thanks

Well I have had three turbos on my truck including the stocker. This is my thoughts based on what I have had...

Truck Specs:
2006 F-250
8" Lift w/37's, 3.73's
Straight piped turbo back
SCT with both Innovative and DJ's tunes
Basic fuel system

The modded VGT I had was from Spartan and they called it the VGT-40. It was similar to the VGT-SS and DFUSERS with a 64.7 compressor wheel and was a fun turbo, and with a set of sticks would really be a blast. But, it did surge pretty bad and EGT's were actually higher towing than with the stocker, although my gearing is less than optimal (37's with 3.73's). I never really got the tow tune figured out and the truck really didn't like anything less than a street file. No way could you DD the thing on a stock file.

I also tested a non-VGT 62mm turbo from Trusted which was by far my favorite. I won't give out any specs on it unless Trusted wants to come in and reveal, plus I am not sure! At cruising speeds (45-50mph) I had 3-5lbs of boost, and the thing lit really quickly (instantly compared to other non-VGT's I have driven in), and was the closest thing DD to the stock turbo that I can compare it to. When I took a trip from Phoenix to Vegas for work with the turbo, the hills out of Bullhead City are long and steep! With the stocker and Race tune, I can hit 1200, with the modded VGT and race tune I would have to back out to keep it at 1200. With the 62 non-VGT and race tune, I was able to keep the speed constant and really never saw over 1000.

Sadly, the situation never arose for me to tow with the Trusted 62 before I had some issues with the truck and returned it to stock for now. I will be running Trusted's new turbo once that is released though...maybe Trusted can shed some light into how close the production unit will compare to the one I tested...performance wise.

Again, these are just my experiences, take them for what they are worth.

I have trusted's 64mm turbo right now and love it. If you could wait, you might want to think about getting like a 62mm from them. This will be good for towing and wont be too big for ya.

Ok, i think I have it narrowed down now to either trusted's 62mm when it comes out or the II hybrid...

Back