Help! New to dodges!

BigPSD

Ok, so my brother added a 3rd Gen to the fleet. Im trying to figure out what performance stuff i should be looking at for him.

Looking for;

Chip(s)
Is there one chip that i can buy to cover everything (ie:Edge). Whats up with the "Smarty" chip? I want what the "SCT" is for 6.0Ls, but for a dodge. I want something safe for the motor/trans but still make some good power.

Exhaust
4" or 5", Straight Pipe or Muffler?

Intake
AFE?

Thanks for your time, hope to hear some good answers!:cheer:

If it is an auto, you are gonna nuke the tranny with a tuner over 100 HP.

So does the Smarty do it all? Dont your need a pressure box and a timing box with the cummins or is that the non CR cummins? Can the Smarty be custom tuned thru emails? Can i just make 75HP with the Smarty?

Thanks for you guys help, hope to hear more.

You can run these programs:
SW # 0 : Half power
SW # 1 : 30 Hp increase, with added timing.
SW # 2 : 60 Hp increase, no added timing.
SW # 3 : 60 Hp increase, with added timing.
SW # 4 : 90 Hp increase, no added timing.
SW # 5 : 90 Hp increase, with added timing.
SW # 6 : 130 Hp increase, no added timing.
SW # 7 : 130 Hp increase, with added timing.
SW # 8 : 170 Hp increase, no added timing.***
SW # 9 : 170 Hp increase, with added timing.***

Tunes are available through www.madselectronics.com via downloads

Typically, you don't want to run anything more than #3 unless tranny mods/bigger clutch have been installed. However, I am running #9 on my stock G56 clutch. Of course I don't hammer it every day either.

Last edited:
I would probably have to suggest some tranny mods first thing, then i would go with a Van Aaken C5, AFE Intake, and to me the CR Dodges sound better with a 4" or 5" exhaust system with a performance muffler.

Smarty is awesome! My buddy put down 461hp with just the smarty and a fully built HTS trans on an 06. I don't think it is quite as mean on the 03-04's but on the 04.5 HO engines it is pretty much "the" thing to have these days.

The early Smartys i heard nothing good about and i have not talked to anyone who has one on the CR but the other truck i know of made better numbers with out it... I dont know much about the smartys, but my choice will be a Van Aaken C5 option #3 when I get to that point, i have heard that the TST PMCR isnt a bad product either.

CWbOyRDnEcK6 said:
The early Smartys i heard nothing good about and i have not talked to anyone who has one on the CR but the other truck i know of made better numbers with out it... I dont know much about the smartys, but my choice will be a Van Aaken C5 option #3 when I get to that point, i have heard that the TST PMCR isnt a bad product either.

The Smarty Product is much different from what you term "early", if you have a common rail and a smarty you can easily go to jail..... $.02

Not knowing much about the CR Smarty, is why i admitted it. But i looked into the Van Aaken and that seems like a better choice to me and thats what im getting.

One of my friends has an edge juice an attitude with a crazy larry stack and now transmission number 2. :bang

I don't know much about the Van Aaken, can you explain why you think it's the best choice for you?

JacktheBear3 said:
Tell him to look into HTS
I definatly will. Dusty has already helped me with with some issues and I will be traveling in his direction next month for some trans upgrading. :rockwoot:

I trust Van Aaken's technology more because of the performance i seen from the Smarty on a 2000 Cummins. The C5 does all of the fuel pulse width adjustments, pressure, and timing. I like the fact that I can customize any of the tuning files and save as desired. It can be customized for optimal performance by laptop to perform at its peak with all other mods on the truck.

Back