Help Please

phillbilly

Beer is good!
Okay, I found a truck im interested in but could be not worth my time. Its a 97 chevy 2500 ext cab 4x4 with a 6.5 turbo diesel, My ideal truck. The only issue with the truck is its not turning over. Owner said it ran perfect before it happened. His believes an exterior engine part is siezed (Alt, water pump, ac compressor, ect...) causing it not to turn over. I havent looked at the truck yet but plan to do so this weekend. How likely is it that the engine is locked up and he just trying to move the truck? Also what are ways to find out if the engine is locked up, so when i look at it I can decide if its worth me buying? Thanks for all your feedback, P. Krug.

If it's an A/C compressor, water pump, or something locked up all you have to do is take the belt off and see if the engine will crank or start.

X2

I'd be surprised if a seized accessory were stopping it from turning over. Sure seems the truck would still crank & just spin the belt on the seized pulley, no?

I'd just pop the belt off and turn all of the pulleys and if they are all free, then I would probably pass if it doesn't crank unless you're getting a real good deal.

We had a guy bring his 6.0 Ford in for a no crank/no start. My tech went out, cut the belt, (it was trashed anyway), and it cranked right up. A/C compressor was seized up. The starter would not turn the engine over enough to start.

Thanks for the feedback! Im going to look at it saturday and figure out the deal, but im definately going to take the belt of and turn each pully, pump, ect and try to crank it over, hopefully listen to it purr for a minute.

Back