Help upgrading 47RH?

samiam44

Good afternoon guys,

I have read and re-read the 47RE clutch upgrade. Great help but I was hoping there would be suggestion/aggreement on other upgrades? I'm assuming a 1994-95 47Rh will have a front planetary which is aluminum.

Q: Did allt he 47RE's come with steel planetary? I'm looking for the most cost-effective way to cure this.

Q: What servos and covers would be recommended- cost effective remember. I assume if I do a goerend VB I need to do cover improvements to take the pressure.

Q: I think there are some sonnax steel govenor plugs/weight to replace the OEM aluminum ones? Need them?

Q: New stock input shaft b/c the current one is abused and a Goerend single disc or other TC.

Q: Would I need to make similar changes to the OD planetary which is probably Aluminum?

I'm shooting for 300-350 hp max. Any more and then I have more $$ issues. Reliability is king in a commuter truck.

Michael

In all honestly, I would do the following (which is what I did).

- read the threads (which you have)
- buy a service manual for your truck (and trans)
- study the products available here: PATC 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmissions, Performance Transmission A518, 518 and Transmission parts & Transmission kits

now:
- steel planetaries can be had from wittrans, just send your aluminum ones back as cores.
- note that many 'upgraded' parts that have higher prices at PATC are actually standard 'upgrades' that places like wittrans offers (for lower price).
- buy a converter from a vendor on this site.

I like replacing the gov plug with the sonnax one, seems to help as most of the stock ones are worn. Front servo cover, accumulator, strut and a Transgo shift kit. Good single disc with lockup setup to not be too aggressive. Alum planet will likely live at that power but not a bad idea to upgrade.

I would do stock high energy clutches, afm flex band up front, billet lever/strut/anchor(3.8 ratio), billet front servo cover, bilet accum piston, billet rear servo piston. Aluminum planetary is fine for your power range. Dont do a shift kit, you'll just be back in it sooner than you plan. Go ahead and spend the money on a Goerend vb. Thats gonna be what makes it live. Single disc converter is fine.

For 300-350 hp, a 100% stock rebuild with an upgraded valve body or a transgo shift kit will hold just fine. To accommodate the higher line pressure, you will need an upgraded band strut. The clean-up the 2-3 shift, get an upgraded servo cover.

Above and beyond this, you are adding unnecessary upgrades for 300-350 hp truck. While you're in there, it's cheap to add more clutches to the direct (3rd gear) clutch and the overdrive brake (4th gear) clutch. An upgraded kevlar lined band and billet 4.2 ratio lever and upgraded anchor are also nice and relatively inexpensive.

The overdrive planet on all 47rh & re from diesel and V-10 applications is a steel 5 pinion planetary setup, no need to upgrade.

I use the truck for light hauling normally and commuting to and from work.

I was planning on the band strut and anchor as they are cheap. I want to get the best lever for working with a goerend v/b. I assumed the higher line pressures required upgraded covers etc.
I thought the front planetary was aluminum via Goerend's rebuild basic guidelines.
Absolutely upgrade the number of discs in the OD and the direct. I think you can go from 3 to 4 in the front clutch pack too.
I changed the oil and there was metal muck on the magnet, so I half to figure out where/what that came from.
FYI, I notieced the billet input shaft on amazon with free shipping for $630. I think that was a sonnax. If I need a input, I was thinking one from witts used for $50 or new dodge for $350.

Michael

Anyone want to make some suggestions on where or what combo of accumulator,covers, and servo pistons to use? A good cheap source?

I may over kill. Super 2 gear servo, billet accumulator, reverse servo piston and pin.

I will get the wedge , strut too.
I have the straight cut geared of. I was thinking all gears are common between 46 and 47 trans. Get a core which is2001 v8 5.9 and then I have better planets and shafts.

Starting to acquire parts over the next few weeks. Got to get paid first.

Last edited:
Back