Help with a problem VP truck please

cashwheel

bolt on warrior
Alright heres the story guys, my buddies 01 started acting up, he said it was dying going down the road, typical VP failure stumble. We hooked fuel pressure gauge up, no pressure to the VP, replaced lift pump, 17 idle, no less than 12 WOT. As figured still cut out so replaced the VP with reman from well known shop. Still cuts out, doesn't feel like APPS dead pedal from what I remember it being like, but now my money is on that or bad reman. Can Anybody think of anything I missed, I haven't done any VP work for a while, and now I remember why, thanks in advance guys.

Alright heres the story guys, my buddies 01 started acting up, he said it was dying going down the road, typical VP failure stumble. We hooked fuel pressure gauge up, no pressure to the VP, replaced lift pump, 17 idle, no less than 12 WOT. As figured still cut out so replaced the VP with reman from well known shop. Still cuts out, doesn't feel like APPS dead pedal from what I remember it being like, but now my money is on that or bad reman. Can Anybody think of anything I missed, I haven't done any VP work for a while, and now I remember why, thanks in advance guys.

Are you getting any codes? Check engine light?

It's got a clean filter? How many miles the injectors got on them? Just a thought on dirt problems. Could be a bad reman but hard to think that if it is a good shop you got it from.

yeah installed new filter when changed pumps, both times just for safety. Injectors have 204k on them, I would think injectors but it idle's great, unless I'm thinking wrong? Truck is very well maintained, its a service truck for my buddies tire shop.

It may idle great but if they or one is clogged it may rev up for one good shot but then drip instead of continous spray.

alright new info, only does it when it hot, wont do it until motor is at op temp, cuts out anywhere from 1-4 times a mile at 60mph, motor goes quiet for 1-3 seconds, no pedal then just comes right back and runs great.

Sounds like the electronics are taking a dump

Man you guys are making me feel better, I thought I missed something, and cost my buddy a grand.

Bad Pump Try again! Probably electronics on it, sometimes they don't get replaced if the pass on a bench but they should be! Its damn near a 100% shot there gonna crap out. Been down this road before had they exact same issue.

Well the pump shop is taking a long weekend, so guess we will find out on Monday. Thanks guys.

You may also want to check power (voltage ) to your pump have seen low voltage to pump cause similar problem or even lossing ignition power ? and as said may have gotten a bad pump electronics

You may also want to check power (voltage ) to your pump have seen low voltage to pump cause similar problem or even lossing ignition power ? and as said may have gotten a bad pump electronics

Well I will check that in the morning. Put the second VP on today and same thing, once temps come up it starts cutting out. I'm trying to find someone with a scan tool somewhere close and go from there, I feel like now I'm throwing parts at it, which isn't cool when its not my money.

Had a IAT/MAP sensor throw me for a loop once. Wasn't out of range as far as the ecm was concerned, but it would show the ecm low boost every now and then while you were cruising, making it defuel. No codes.

You swap the cam sensor when you swapped the pump? How old are the batteries?

Well I will check that in the morning. Put the second VP on today and same thing, once temps come up it starts cutting out. I'm trying to find someone with a scan tool somewhere close and go from there, I feel like now I'm throwing parts at it, which isn't cool when its not my money.

Replace the water temp sensor at the front of the engine.

Back