Help with degreeing a cam - Cincinnati area

wilmesbm

Is there anyone in the Cincinnati area who has experience degreeing a camshaft who would be willing to stop by and assist me with my upcoming cam install? I've read quite a few write-ups and watched a few videos on the topic, but would still feel more comfortable if someone with experience was there to walk me through it for my first time.

I need to make a couple phone calls first, but I'm planning on running a 194/220 cam and, because the tolerances are so tight, I'd prefer to have some expertise on sight to assist.

I'd be willing to buy dinner, beer, or pay someone if I need to.

You have valve reliefs I your pistons? If memory serves me right that cam needs .080 reliefs and it gets degreeded in the same as a stock with no offset key.

You have valve reliefs I your pistons? If memory serves me right that cam needs .080 reliefs and it gets degreeded in the same as a stock with no offset key.

No valve reliefs as this engine has not yet been apart. I personally have not yet talked to Zach, but according to his website it should fit without them if the block/head has not been surfaced. It's supposed to be installed on a 99 degree intake centerline.

I would double check piston valve clearance when your done degreeing in your camshaft.

I would double check piston valve clearance when your done degreeing in your camshaft.

Yes sir, I will. I guess my main concern right now is whether or not a cam that size will work without reliefs. I haven't been able to find a ton of information about it online, but from what I have found, it seems as if it will.

Like I said though, I haven't had a chance to make any phone calls to talk it over with the guys who would know for sure.

Eric, I'll be calling you one day next week before I make any final decisions.

This is one of the simpler explanations I've seen.

IMG_0083_zpsietdm1he.jpg

This is one of the simpler explanations I've seen.

IMG_0083_zpsietdm1he.jpg

To simple, there is a little bit more into finding top dead center, and I always rotate the engine in the direction it runs. I never find my numbers when it is rotating in the opposite direction because of gear lash and clearances.

To simple, there is a little bit more into finding top dead center, and I always rotate the engine in the direction it runs. I never find my numbers when it is rotating in the opposite direction because of gear lash and clearances.

You can go good amount past your target then change directions back to the "correct direction"

You can go good amount past your target then change directions back to the "correct direction"

Yes, you can do that, but that is not what the instructions detailed. As a tip to anyone, always rotate the engine in the direction it normally rotates. You can rotate it backward, but you need to go past and then rotate it in the correct direction.

Back