Help with non-turbo 93 7.3L

DuramaxDaddy29

My friend has a 93 7.3L regular cab dually flat bed that he pulls a tractor and trailer weighing in at just under 26,000lbs. everyday.He has been pulled twice for not keeping with the flow of traffic (going to slow). What is his cheapest or best way for more horsepower? please be serious, thanks...like what to find to replace it with, without breaking the bank or getting into to much wiring trouble..

12V conversion??

The ole idi's will pull a load but certainly not win any races. I think you can still buy turbo kits for them and such and turn up the fuel, but never gonna win any races. Might be able to find a used turbo kit, or make something. I am pretty sure Banks has stopped producing the sidewinder kit, but Hypermax or ATS might still make their kits.

We had a 92 F350 crew cab dually 2wd with 4:10's that had the Banks sidewinder turbo and trans command and such, used it to tow a 18k 5th wheel camper. Wasn't fast but it would get it rolling and such and pull some hills, but through I think 30k of pulling the truck went through 6 sets of brakes, 4 transmissions and finally a motor (cracked heads and just cheaper to do the entire motor at the time)

12V conversion might be more money but will have FAR more potential for making usable power. I personally love the ole idi's but after sinking TONS of money into them you might have a VERY hot 300hp

Add a turbo from Banks, ATS, or Hypermax. Get the IP modded by Mel Agne (Agnem over on oilburners.net), and get a set of his injectors. Have the truck timed properly using the pulse method to 8.5 to 9.5 degrees BTDC. Watch the EGT's and boost. Add an intercooler if the EGT's are bad.

Regardless, 26,000 is not going to fly like a feather behind an F350.

Heath

Back