Help with truck

stroker93

I am looking at buying a 1988 f250 7.3 IDI (i think thats the motor that yr had) with a 5 spd, 2000$ is the asking price. Im wanting to pull with the trucka and be able to drive it on the road. Any suggestions

That is the 2nd worst engine to start building HP with. At lest get a 94.5+

Let me put this bluntly.

If you can't afford the truck, you can't afford to pull. An IDI would do well to place in the top 10 if the 9 trucks in the class broke. Broken parts are going to add up fast, not to mention what it costs to be competitive.

im just goin to be pullin the stock class, if i get the truck i will be addin a turbo. After/if i get the truck ive got about 5k to play with.

Dude, honestly, its an IDI. 200hp to the wheels is massive. LOL

like i said id be pulling workstock and it would get alot of work done later on. Im not expecting to win i just want a different hobby involving diesels.

So put that 5000 into a 12v then use the 2000 you were gonna buy the ford with to make 3 times the power you could with the IDI.:bang

I know of about 18 trucks under $7000.

A few things about looking at diesels:

If it had no turbo stock, it will do poorly.

If it is before 89 on Dodge, 95 on Ford, 2001 on Chevy/GMC, it will do poorly.

High miles is not bad (200k+)

Body can be fixed, replaced later

Autos suck but can be built up

$7000 could get you a nice running 1st Gen 4x4 Dodge with a 5spd, injectors, turbo, clutch. Body will be crap, high miles but it will pull like none other.

Agreed with above unless you plan on a motor swap.... the IDI ford engines, while reliable stock, where complete turds for mods....

To get an IDI ford to pull with a bone stock powerstroke, dmax, or cummins would be an accomplishment imho....

The 1980's fords are some of the sharpest looking body styles in my opinion, so I would buy the truck and then spend the 5000 you were gonna put into modding the 6.9 put a 12v into the truck and have a really nice pulling truck.

The 1980's fords are some of the sharpest looking body styles in my opinion, so I would buy the truck and then spend the 5000 you were gonna put into modding the 6.9 put a 12v into the truck and have a really nice pulling truck.

This the guy selling the ford?

Back