Here's a hitch for ya

Blackdog

Hillbilly Deluxe
I took a little vacation from the Air Force and went back home and while I was there I went to check out the local pull and saw this hitch on just about all the diesel trucks. Now I have seen these same trucks pull for a few years but I don't know how many of these hitches they have had to replace. Seem to work though.

Last edited:
can we have a side shot it looks pretty dam good

so i a guessing you pulling off the bolt?

Pulling off the big bolt. Simple design. I don't have a side shot but all it consists of is two pieces of flat plate with a long slot in the middle of each for the bolt adjustment up and down which is welded to 2x2 and then the bolts and nuts on the outside to keep the bolt where you want it.

grade 8

whats the bolts on the side are they to hold the bolt in place?

I would assume it was grade eight but it was either paint or rust and I wasn't paying attention but yeah the bolts on the outside are to keep the bolt at the height you want it and also to lock it up and down.

Interesting design. Wonder if it would pass tech at the big pulls?

Probably not. Simple design like that would be to cheap for a big pull. But I would rather use a 1-1 1/4" grade eight bolt instead of those cheap lunette eyes. It is an easy design and most of the trucks hooked three times that night and no problems with there hitches.

Probably not. Simple design like that would be to cheap for a big pull. But I would rather use a 1-1 1/4" grade eight bolt instead of those cheap lunette eyes. It is an easy design and most of the trucks hooked three times that night and no problems with there hitches.

?
Brandon

Lunnette eyes are designed for those type loads, bolts are not.

Or make your own out of thick plate...

Lunnette eyes are designed for those type loads, bolts are not.

Or make your own out of thick plate...

The cheap lunette eye I was talking about were the ones you buy off the shelf. Both of my pulling tractors have ones that I had machined out of 1" plate which are very strong but they are bolted to the main draw bar with a
1" grade 8 bolt. Neither have ever failed.

I'm not trying to start a pissin match and when I first saw the hitch I thought it was a joke but I guess that is because I am brain washed on the lunette eye hitch style but now I wonder. It is adjustable and it is strong. I think I may build one since I am running two trucks around at the local pulls and compare the strength and longevity.

I think it needs a bushing around the bolt between the plates so the plates won't sandwhich together and allow the bolt to bend.

I was looking at that but not a bushing but some support at the top and bottom.

I think they forgot the hitch, just shoved the bolt in there, and went with it LOL

A guesset welded in place should stop or slow the plates from imploding. Heck, just a fat roll for the bolt to 'lock' into should stop the implosion.

Back