Hey does anyone know what there rockwell hardness on there cam?

DMS1707

GOING FAST
Hey does anyone know what there rockwell hardness on there cam?

Attachments

• cam rockwell test pic.jpg
    cam rockwell test pic.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 190
The stock Cummins cams are between 52 and 54 on the Rockwell C scale. My cams are in that same range. Rockwell is a measurement of hardness. One other note is that while a cam may be hard on the Rockwell C scale, its density is also critical as well. This is evident in the metal that is coming out of China, and Indonesia, these castings can have fairly high Rockwell measurements in the mid 40’s range, but the density is evident when we put the cams in the grinder. A less dense material will grind in a third the time.

i think this is supposed to be a question of regrind versus "new" ground blanks? i am wondering is there a more cams going flat that were "reground" versus new blanks? and if there was a way to "compair" functionality of aftermarket cams should we really be talking about how they work in the way they were desingned to be used and the application for? just my $0.02 and stirring the pot

i think this is supposed to be a question of regrind versus "new" ground blanks? i am wondering is there a more cams going flat that were "reground" versus new blanks? and if there was a way to "compair" functionality of aftermarket cams should we really be talking about how they work in the way they were desingned to be used and the application for? just my $0.02 and stirring the pot

The issue here is rockwell hardness.

The cam in that picture looks to be a new cast. Anyone know what the RGW was on it and where it came from (vendor/country)??????

Back