HIDs vs LEDs?

2002nightmare

Anyone have input on what you're experiences are with either and what brand you're running? I'm still running stock lighting, which isn't terrible, but I'm about to have window tint done including windshield and I'm expecting a need to upgrade. I had http://www.hidheadlightkit.com bulbs in my 2nd gen and had no issues but I've been looking strongly at LEDs this time around. Trucks an 08 if that matters

I just installed some LED's and I feel like it was a waste of money. HID's have much brighter and better light. The LED's light does not seem to project out on the road very far.

i have the 55w HID in my headlights and 35 w in the fogs. after tinting the windshield to 30 i could not see much with stock bulbs. i angled my headlights down VERY IMPORTANT! so that nearly all of the light is thrown down in front of the truck. i can drive behind my wife and the lights do not bother her eyes (she has a small convertible).

from inside the percieved light is a little better than stock, but outside it is ridiculously bright.

The best lights I have had so far are the Truck-Lite 5x7 LED lights in my 95 XJ. These things are incredible.

They light up the road more than my old 08 Audi's adaptive, projector HIDs.
And brighter than my 2012 Mustangs.

I have 55w HIDs in my motorcycles, 35w in my truck. I like them, but they have to warm up and they get kind of hot in a stock headlight housing not made for them.

The only two problems I have with the LED headlights are:
1) They don't output much heat, so in certain situations, I'll have ice form over them (I live in MN) and I'll have to stop and clear them every few hours.
2) To get good ones, you have to pay. I paid ~$500 for the ones on my Jeep. Totally worth it. I need to get a paid for my YJ now.

And if you want HIDs, go to DDM Tuning. I've gotten quite a few sets from there and always been happy.

^^^^^ GOOD led lights wont be cheap. i think a quality set of led would have a performance advantage. color temperature seems to be a factor to me also, regardless of which type you choose. i personally like ~ 8000-10000k for a crisp blue light

^^^^^ GOOD led lights wont be cheap. i think a quality set of led would have a performance advantage. color temperature seems to be a factor to me also, regardless of which type you choose. i personally like ~ 8000-10000k for a crisp blue light

Yup, I always shoot for 5000K for 35w and 5000-6000K for 55w. I like the pure white. For HIDs, the higher the wattage, the more it seems to spread out the color band. That doesn't make sense from a heat transfer/light emission stand point, but that is at least how the industry classifies it.

Note: if you're only looking for brightness, for 35w at 4300K, that mimics the light waves outputted by the sun, and it is the brightest. Well, the human eye evolved to see best with the light outputted by the sun, so you'll see the best with this.

Good luck!

Back