High miles on a DIY turbo rebuild?

kawi600

got Coal for Christmas
Anyone have high miles on a DIY turbo rebuild? Just looking to gauge my risk of it exploding on me if I mess with it on my own.
I see a lot of folks that swap wheels and such, but mostly for race trucks which see usage and maintenance a lot different from a DD or tow vehicle.
Ive got this industrial S362 that probably needs a rebuild. Looks like its pushing boost into the oil drain. Might hog out the WG a little while its apart.
Any suggestions on where to get a quality (no chinese pot metal) kit and whether a thrust bearing upgrade is needed if I plan on twins?

After changing the search terms a bunch I finally found a couple posts that gave me some info. one said about 10k on a wheel swap.
Guess all you can do is watch the shaft play for signs of imbalance.

Last edited:
I did a wheel swap and rebuild on my 62 and rebuilt my s480 about 85k ago with out any ill effects . Just keep everything really clean on the oil feed side , the offices at the bearings are very small and could plug easily . Had a friend just fry his turbo cause of this , but he is a moron , lol

Do you recall who you used for the rebuild kit? Id like to get an OE one if possible

I have rebuilt a few Borg Warners and they are very simple. If neither of the wheels have rubbed, everything should still be in balance. Just make an index mark between the shaft and comp wheel before you disassemble and then line them up when you put it back together. Only other specific tips are to keep the gap in the turbine ring upwards to help prevent oil leaking. Use plenty of clean oil putting it back together and be very clean. I like to bead blast the housings and spray them off with brake clean and they look great. Flush out the center section with plenty of brake clean too. Check the turbine shaft for overheating/smearing/wear. Not a bad idea to clean up the surface with a mini lathe and scotch brite pad. If you're real paranoid, find a shop to balance the rotor assembly.

Melett makes quality rebuild kits for S300s.

Back