High Pitched Noise

Spectre32

Welding Extraordinaire!
Ok well for a little while now I've noticed a high pitch whine comming from my truck. When the truck is off and i turn on the key to get the glow plugs warming, I can hear what i assume is the fuel pump on the driver side.... however when The truck turns over there is a destictive whine that seems to be comming from that general region. I'm pretty sure its fuel pump/filter related becuase I have never heard it before until the last month-ish. From the outside you can't hear anything.. until you start walking around the truck. As you make your way to the back and around the tail gate it comes REAL noticable. Its sounds like my fuel pump is straining... or perhaps my HFCM needs a filter change. I just changed it out last yearish but who knows. When I was walking around it seemd to be comming not quite from where the HFCM sits but further back(like rear wheel well). I could not hear it on the other side of the truck, the exhaust may have been drowning it out.

That being said I have not noticed any loss in performance or fuel economy.. but i'm pretty sure i have never heard this noise until recently. I took it to my buddy at a ford dealer we both sat there and listend to it. He said he didnt hear anything outside of normal, so maybe its just me.

How many miles a year do you put on the truck? HFCM sits behind the front driveshaft. You are still running the factory pump? I thought you had installed a FASS on your truck. We can refrain from saying horizontal fuel conditioning module. Lets just say fuel pump.

Nope... No fass on my truck. I put on about 13K a year. I crawled under my truck when it was running and there is no noise comming from the fuel pump, it litterly sounds like its comming from the rear wheel region.

How long does it make the noise? I'm wondering if you have plugged up breather for the rear end, and are hearing it equalize pressure. It's a long shot, and you should have gear lube all over the place really. What about an air bleed from the fuel tank?

Ok new twist. its comming from the hfcm..i think the filter is all pluged up. im going to the ford dealer in a few to show this to my buddy. its either the filter of the actual hfcm. ..because when i was sitting in my truck..ideling...i was playing with the headlights and windows...and i could hear the noise change pitch..like it was running out of power. so i assume the pump is bogged down bc of the filter of the pump is screwed.

thats what mine did when i first shimmed the regulator, and then when i put the regulated return on. it seemed like that was too much for the stock pump.

Well I have not done anything... So come sunday I'll see whats going on.. cause thats when i'm taking thr truck in.

Might just be that your pump is on it's way out. I'd check both filters for parts before it starts pushing bits of metal through when the pressure drop gets too high. If the large filter is clogged, I guarantee the small one with be too, in a matter of days, based solely on the particle size. I'd at least crack the bleeder and collect some of the fuel in a glass jar so you can see what's floating around in there.

When the injector pump in our 86 went south the fuel in the water separator took on this really neat gold shimmering effect.. about a weak later it was towed home.

Well I changed the small one a few months ago(end of Augest, begining part of september)... but I changed the 10micon one last year. When I go home I'll crawl under and drain some fuel via the water outlet part to see whats going on. It has becomming worse as time has gone on... so I'm thinking the filter may be trashed....for whatever reason.

Power steering? Are we a little low on the necessary fluid to keep pumps happy?

Hmmm now thats may be a good question. I looked at the fluid before, but never checked it. When I get a break in the action from work, I'll check it out.

As if it matters.. whatever is broken i wont be able to fix, I blew far to much money on guns and ammo in the past two weeks.

Fuel filter was plugged solid... changed it out and all my issues went away.

Back