Highest HP while keeping reliability...

Thanks to you all. I think I need a smarty and tranny work for my purposes. I really don't like the way the bully dog acts in this truck. It sort of "blubbers" at the end of acceleration. Like it wants to keep going when I let my foot off of the gas. Don't like it.

It may be due to the fact that the bully dog is for an 04 and not an 04.5? It's just not right...but it does deliver the horsepower and pulls nicely when my foot is in it.

I don't think I would justify paying for a Smarty when you already have a BD...I have had both.

There is a big difference between daily driven and reliable. Anything over 500 seems to be a headach

There is a big difference between daily driven and reliable. Anything over 500 seems to be a headach

Depends on how it's done really. I consider my truck reliable at around 700...And I know a guy that makes over 1k with about 90,000 miles at or around that power and its daily drivin.

Like I stated earlier, I daily drive mine 50+mi a day. Couple hundred on the weekends and it's been 600+ for the better part of 50,000mi. Never left me stranded except for #4 injector line crack (which is common for any CR). I would have no problem advising someone to build a 600+ truck, as long as they drive with a reasonable right foot.

It really comes down to driving style.

honestly, you live so close to Garmon's, I would just do a well built tranny. At that point, you can run about a 200hp tune (450-500rwhp) and enjoy it IMO
I took your advice and called them up.

Excellent company. I could not believe what they told me.

He asked what I wanted to use the truck for and what my engine mods were.

I told him.

He then told me that since my tranny was replaced in 07 with a new 48RE, I should just put the bully dog on the second setting (40hp) and leave it alone.

What a great answer from a guy who could have easily taken me for a thousand dollars. He said that if I did any serious off roading, I may want to consider a tougher input shaft, but other than that, the 48RE is an excellent all around tranny for my purpose and that if he added a bunch of high pressure stuff to it, I may just have a problem when using the truck off road and blow something out.

He told me to just roll with it.

Guess who I'm calling if I ever do need tranny work? :)

I took your advice and called them up.

Excellent company. I could not believe what they told me.

He asked what I wanted to use the truck for and what my engine mods were.

I told him.

He then told me that since my tranny was replaced in 07 with a new 48RE, I should just put the bully dog on the second setting (40hp) and leave it alone.

What a great answer from a guy who could have easily taken me for a thousand dollars. He said that if I did any serious off roading, I may want to consider a tougher input shaft, but other than that, the 48RE is an excellent all around tranny for my purpose and that if he added a bunch of high pressure stuff to it, I may just have a problem when using the truck off road and blow something out.

He told me to just roll with it.

Guess who I'm calling if I ever do need tranny work? :)

This is Awesome to hear!!

People always assume I'm nut swinging when I say stuff like this about Jeff... This is just the way he is!! He's not in this business for the money... He really just loves it!! Money is secondary!!

If you ever need him, trust me, he'll treat you Right!!

David

btw, you're very close to me as well.... If you ever need anything as fa...r as Garmon's goes, Just hit me up and I'll be glad to help ya..

HP doesn't seem to matter. It's how the truck is driven. You could have 800 hp driven sensible to out last a 500 hp truck driven hard every day. High torque stresses drive train parts and they have limit before failing so the more stress the shorter the life. What mods used to gain hp make a differance. High rail pressure will gain hp at the risk of the reliability of the injection system. So you could have a very relaible truck at over 650 hp if no short cuts were used getting there. I believe my truck at 565 hp is more reliable than stock with the mods done to it.
Billy

Back