Highway cruising sounds like it misses any ideas

huggyb1972

IDI Rookie
It's a 85' 6.9 in a F250 4x4 I am pretty sure it has some blow-by when I down shift to a stop it blows bluish white smoke but runs good otherwise and appears to firing on all 8. The PO installed a 5" stack right off the Y-pipe no muffler it sounds pretty healthy running up through the gears. When I'm cruising at highway speeds it runs rough and pops and crackles sounds like it's gonna die but I can mash it to the floor and it comes on right like it should with a little black smoke. What do I need to look at besides an major overhaul? Could a injector pump do this type of stuff? I have ruled out the injectors the set that it came in it were new I used my back-up set and had no noticable change. *bdh*

Does it puff any smoke while its missing? Is it hard to start? I had a '94 IDI that did something similiar and it would blow blue smoke... It cured itself one day hwen i was towing really heavy

If puffs any smoke it's hard to tell the stack is a little higher than the cab I wondered if having no restiction in the exhaust at all could be a factor.

Back