HMR Comp puller

I have 2 of the HMR's 1 is the street puller in my daily driver has 25,000 miles on it and 50 or so hooks and is 3 years old and i pull a 40ft trailer with my puller on itwith no problems we actually just reshimmed it for the first time with still over 3/4 material still on the disks. I also have the Comp puller in my puller have had no issues out of it till this weekend it has roughly 80 hooks on it and have not got the trans out of it to find out what happened to it. Would recommend the street puller for what you are wanting to do. If you want to run the comp you will have to remove some of the weights mine had 14 per finger and she doesnt like to sit still when coming up thru the rpm's. Hope this helps.

Got the trans out last night just needs to be reshimmed so as of know 80+ on the Comp because she is going back together this weekend!:rockwoot:

hmr who the hell is that? and u guys r geting 50 hoooks damn i have had 3 south bends 9- 12 on each clutch junk if u ask me give me more info on this clutch tahnks guys

Sound like you need more HP. Your slipping the clutch WAY to much. And in too high of a gear

I'd advise looking at how many hooks people are getting before a rebuild. I bought a used HMR street puller with 50+ hooks on it and it looked great. Maybe I'm out of bounds here, but I hear a lot of guys getting less than 15 hooks out of SBC's. Plus the pedal effort is much closer to stock than SBC. Just my opinion,
andy

I'd advise looking at how many hooks people are getting before a rebuild. I bought a used HMR street puller with 50+ hooks on it and it looked great. Maybe I'm out of bounds here, but I hear a lot of guys getting less than 15 hooks out of SBC's. Plus the pedal effort is much closer to stock than SBC. Just my opinion,
andy

Thats not really a apples to apples comparison, because everyone drives them different. Theres SBC's that go 50+ hooks too. Usually theres a reason guys are getting 6 - 9 - 15 etc.... pulls out of there clutch.

Thats not really a apples to apples comparison, because everyone drives them different. Theres SBC's that go 50+ hooks too. Usually theres a reason guys are getting 6 - 9 - 15 etc.... pulls out of there clutch.
You are correct.If your not seing 50+ hooks then you most likely dont have enough power to run the gear you are trying to run.

I would like to say something here. Folks, We ship out at least 10 DD clutches a day and yes some get smoked. There are many that don't. I have some guys working on two to three years with sled pulling and over 100 hooks. Why? I daily get calls from people that have melted other brand of DD clutches and the first thing I say is what are you doing. Most of the time I hear I only have 450-500 HP and it should have worked. I say, what gear are you pulling in...4 low, 2nd high, 5th... I say why? they answer, wheel speed! Also consider trucks that are driven every day and pulled on the weekend. As a clutch builder should we sell them strictly a sled pulling clutch or something for everyday driving with occasional pulling? I had a guy call me that melted a Haisley comp puller in two passes. He was pi$$ed and wanted our Iron Giant. I respectfully told him no because you melted a darn good clutch in two hooks and I am sure you will melt my DD as well. I told him to buy the triple or go with another brand. I am sure he would have melted my DD and then bad mouthed us to the next clutch company or on the internet like I see going on here.

My 2 cents

Peter

I had a guy call me that melted a Haisley comp puller in two passes. He was pi$$ed and wanted our Iron Giant. I respectfully told him no because you melted a darn good clutch in two hooks and I am sure you will melt my DD as well. I told him to buy the triple or go with another brand. I am sure he would have melted my DD and then bad mouthed us to the next clutch company or on the internet like I see going on here.

My 2 cents

Peter
I would have love to see the expression on that guys face when you told him that :eek:wned:

I had a guy call me that melted a Haisley comp puller in two passes. He was pi$$ed and wanted our Iron Giant. I respectfully told him no because you melted a darn good clutch in two hooks and I am sure you will melt my DD as well. I am sure he would have melted my DD and then bad mouthed us to the next clutch company or on the internet like I see going on here.

Peter

Classic:hehe:

I'll have to back up Peter on this one, I have an Iron Giant in my daily driver with a bit over 650HP and the only time I've had any trouble with it was when I let someone else pull with my pickup while I was in Iraq and he tried to pull in 4th High slipping the whole way.

I've had no experience with the Haisley clutches but I can say that SB is second to none as far as customer service and putting out a quality product IMHO.

I burned up a DD running 4th low with 550hp. Got first in point that year but had to buy a new clutch that winter...

What, did he that he needed 80mph wheelspeed?:hehe:

I don't know what the hell he was thinking, but I'm told there was smoke and sparks coming out the bellhousing, wish I could have seen it....

got so hot in there it bent the wishbone, maybe that's common but I've never seen it before.

I think this is more of learn how to drive than whos clutch to choose? I run a SBC Iron Giant and it works for me.
Brandon

Back