HO to SO vp swap

ETH/DEE

Fick mich
A friend of mine has wrecked 99 and i was thinking of swapping out my HO vp for the SO out of the wrecked truck. I did a search because i know this topic has been discussed many a time, but it didnt yield any results.
Whats involved? Just swap it and go, or is there anything else i need to change/take from the donor truck? What about setting the voltage for the APPS? would that change at all.

School me!

Thanks,
Aaron.

Just swap them out like any other standard pump swap. I swapped a SO in when my HO pump crapped out.

Made a huge difference on the top end with the TST.

yup many said you cant do it and you gotta change the ecm...horse hockey.

when my HO died i put a HRVP44 on it, and when that one bit the dust I went with an SO pump and it feels the same as the HRVP and runs just as smooth

Thanks guys!!! Im gonna try to pull the pump tommorow.:thankyou2:

Just a tip. I don't know if you've ever changed a vp or not, but Diesel Dan has a great video on youtube which shows every step of changing one out. It seems to make the job go smoother if you watch the video before the job.

It's easy as pie, just time consuming. Make sure the keyway is at TDC and you should invest in a bluepoint/snap on VP44 gear puller which are around $20.00. I've been told a steering wheel puller also works?? HO to HRVP then HRVP to SO, worked like a charm on my old 01 and I made 40hp on the high end past what my HRVP44 could do...$.02

What is the diffence between the SO and the HO, I thought that HO was rated for 245 engines and the SO was for the 235 engines. Am I wrong about this or what?

The HO has higher pressure but lower volume where as the SO has lower pressure and higher volume. I believe the HO also has slightly smaller plungers in it. The HO tends to top out around 500hp.

i just did the swap and only gained like 15 horses and lost 110 lbs of tourqe. they were different dynos but the truck is a lot smoother and fuels a little harder but not much.

anyone know where i can get the so reflash. ????

i just did the swap and only gained like 15 horses and lost 110 lbs of tourqe. they were different dynos but the truck is a lot smoother and fuels a little harder but not much.

I think the Smarty automatically flashes the latest so flash when you return to stock. I may be wrong, just a suggestion.

Pretty hard to compare numbers when you dyno'd on 2 different dyno's. I gained lots but I had Mach 4's in. What injectors do you have??

The SO does lose a little on the bottom end when compared to an SO but it does fuel harder and can take you higher in HP.

running mach 4's right now and was hoping it would take me to 530 or so but i will have to go back to buda for some concrete numbers from the same dyno. the truck runs fine and is a lot smoother but as far as the electronics are concerned it's compatible with either pumps.

Back