Hole in block

spruckalufagus

So a few hours ago i picked up a 4bt to put in my 82 k10 and the thing looked beautiful, until i got home and realized there was something wrong on the block. I took a screw driver to it just to realize that it had been welded. the guy i bought it from said that the previous owner threw a rod, but the whole motor was rebuilt afterwards. There is a video of it running and it doesnt sound bad, also it holds 60 pounds of oil pressure and 75-80 under a load.

Any thoughts on how reliable this is, or did i seriously just get F****ED
paid 2500 for it

here is a pic

Attachments

• 2013-08-10_15-25-50_872.jpg
    2013-08-10_15-25-50_872.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
I personally don't trust welded blocks, and if it wasn't don't right it may not last long. But that's my opinion.

I personally don't trust welded blocks, and if it wasn't don't right it may not last long. But that's my opinion.

This, However the block looks patched vs just welding it shut, should be a little more reliable.

This, However the block looks patched vs just welding it shut, should be a little more reliable.

I think I might buy a short block and swap everything over... just having a hard time finding one. Don't wanna spend over 1g for another block

I think I might buy a short block and swap everything over... just having a hard time finding one. Don't wanna spend over 1g for another block

Take it to a good fabrication shop and have the welds looked at. I have an amish buddy who has welded probably 20 blocks, zero re-failures so far. That block looks pretty solid and can get a good weld on it.

I've seen blocks get patched with fiberglass rosin matting in about the same spot and be fine.

Ryan

How long do the welds on your chassis last? If it was done right, it will probably be good until something else in the motor breaks. If it was done poorly, who knows. I'd still run it though.

Back