Home Hobbyist Sand Blasters

Gravy

Giggity Giggity
So I have been wanting a sandblaster for a while and I finally have a project to justify the purchase of one. The paint on my front Ranch Hand Bumper is peeling so I am wanting to spray it with Raptor Liner to match my rear bumper. With all the nooks, crannies, and expanded metal grille insert, It would be too much of a pain to do it with a grinder and sand paper. So, I am looking at 50-100lb pot sand blasters. I am looking at the Eastwood and Northern tool blasters. I will not be using this on a very consistent basis(once a quarter???) so I cant justify a ton of money on it, but I dont want something that is going to break after one use. I am trying ro stay under the $150-$200 price point.

Also, What do you guys recommend for a good drying system off my compressor? I should point out that I have an 80 gallon 2 stage compressor that holds 14.1 cfm @ 100 psi so air is not a concern.

Thanks for your help guys.

I think I have an old one down in the barn that you fill up with sand, lift up on the filler lid, pressurize, and then go to town. I haven't used it in years, but it was only used a couple of times before i went to a cabinet model.

RonA

I have the large Harbor Freight one and it works well for every now and then like you say you will be using it for. If I was using them more often I would buy a good one, but for how rarely I need one it is perfect.

As for the air dryer I would plan on spending good money on one, more than you are spending on the blaster, by almost double.

Brother has a cheap one from a local farm store, works as good as commercial units I've used, just smaller.

I have the large Harbor Freight one and it works well for every now and then like you say you will be using it for. If I was using them more often I would buy a good one, but for how rarely I need one it is perfect.

As for the air dryer I would plan on spending good money on one, more than you are spending on the blaster, by almost double.

How much was yours? I love harbor freight lol (only for siht like that)

I appreciate the help guys. I would love to get a cabinet blaster but:

1- I dont have room for it in the garage
2- I dont think the bumper would fit inside.

I understand its going to be messy and loud, but its what I need to do the job.

Looks like its off to HF I go. Thanks again.

Goodluck with that ranch hand.. Most likely it's powder coated and will be a total bitach to get off with that little blaster.

Sent from my fancy thinking box

What are you going to use for media and what are you recoating with?

I have less experience with small blasters, but your time involved will depend on the air flow and the media type. The finer the media, the smoother the finish is, but also the longer it takes (and more media).

I am not sure if its powdercoated or not because the paint/coating is peeling everywhere. From the looks of it, the person I bought the truck from spray painted it because the fogs are painted over and there are spots that were missed.

As far as media, I am looking to use black beauty, but from a distance to minimize the pitting and distortion. I just changed jobs back to my old pipelining contractor and I figure I will do the bumper one night in the shop off one of our blast rigs. As far as paint, I will be using raptor liner. It has a textured finish to it, so I am not too worried about minor pitting. I will also be spraying about 3 heavy coats.

Medium black beauty will work good given the machine and air is good. I wouldn't suggest it if you planned on going back with standard paint, but a textured finish would be no problem.

Back