home made coolant bypass kit

DLV8

thinking of making my own bypass kit, because I don't want to spend 300 plus dollars so how about using a fuel pressure regulator like this one.

Aeromotive13301 - Universal Bypass Regulator

using -8an braided steel lines with anodized fittings one to the back of the head and one tap into the thermostat fitting basically trying to make this.

http://www.motorsportdiesel.com/storename/motorsportdiesel2/Image-10656442.aspx

so my question is has anybody made there own bypass kit? what did you guys use? any thoughts???

If you have an electric water pump you don't need the regulator to make the pressure any lower. They run at like 20 psi anyway.

Not so good??????

If you have an electric water pump you don't need the regulator to make the pressure any lower. They run at like 20 psi anyway.

Hear they dont last on the street very long. If someone has one that will last I would buy it in a minute.

I know of a guy on here who simply runs a 1/4 turn ball valve. When it warmed up and wants to go racing he opens it up...leaves it closed for warming up and street driving.

If you forget to open it for playing on the street, oh well, should have remembered. LOL

I would simply return coolant into the lower rad hose port at the WP inlet. If the t-stat is closed pressure will back up into the rad and if open the WP will recirculate it. Use a 3/8" hose. Coolant temp will not fluctuate and no need for a valve. It's simply a pressure relief to prevent pressure spikes.

So If you run the bypass into the lower rad hose there's no need for a regulator.

I would simply return coolant into the lower rad hose port at the WP inlet. If the t-stat is closed pressure will back up into the rad and if open the WP will recirculate it. Use a 3/8" hose. Coolant temp will not fluctuate and no need for a valve. It's simply a pressure relief to prevent pressure spikes.

Is that small of hose even going to help anything?

I know of a guy on here who simply runs a 1/4 turn ball valve. When it warmed up and wants to go racing he opens it up...leaves it closed for warming up and street driving.

If you forget to open it for playing on the street, oh well, should have remembered. LOL

I was thinking of using a fuel solenoid from a nitrous kit so I could just flip a switch inside the cab, but it's a problem if you forget it. I would ratter have it automatically open when it needs too.

At what point do you need a bypass kit? 3300rpms or above?

the moments before you see steam in the cowl!

well atleast thats when i found mine twice lol

i just used the above pressure relief valve and plumbed in with parker push loc brass fittings. tapped the water neck and used a billet plug on the rear.

hardest part is getting your hands around the back of the head to put the billet pug in, especially when you dont want to remove the twins to do a simple job

I had a small 90* rad hose pop while doing a pull over 110 in o/d under 2800 rpm with almost 60psi boost. It soaked the windshield quickly. With my 96 i dont think I can use some of these kits and im considering just drilling into the water jacket at the back of the head and installing a 50psi relief valve plumbed back to the rad. I will do some more research and post what i figure out as it will be done on the cheap.

For now I drilled 2 1/8th inch holes in the t-stat to help relieve some pressure. Truck still gets to temp but takes a bit longer especially since its this week is the coldest its been all year 40-50 during the day.

So what i want to know is do i need a regulator or not? I read all the posts and atachments and i'm still not any smarter than when i started reading this post.:bang

Im no pro but the people designing the kits are more knowledgeable than most so theres probably a good reason they all use a regulator. :thumbsup:

I used a watts 530c valve i believe and breaded line taped into my t-stat housing and valve it set a 50psi on my 12 valve works great

Put a small line and a pressure gauge on it and see what actually happens.

Im no pro but the people designing the kits are more knowledgeable than most so theres probably a good reason they all use a regulator. :thumbsup:

LOL ^^^

Back