Homemade Penetrating Oil

Exodus

Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils
Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
This is what they came up with:
Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs;
PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

Interesting, I'll have to give that a try sometime. I usually go for the PB blaster, and if that doesn't work then I torch it.

Very interesting. I wonder what type of ATF they used? We use Kroil and it is awesome stuff but very pricey

Atf and acetone do not blend. Also acetone evaporates so fast that it will have little effect on rusted parts. Atf alone is a great cleaner and penetrant but there are other products that work better and faster.

You only mix the amount you apply and it most certainly will mix. It just separates quickly. The first plumber I apprenticed under used it on galvanized pipe all the time.

Yeah but having to mix them just before use sucks!

I tried it multiple times and even in a chemical proof spray bottle in trashed the spray nozzle within a week or two (leaks like crazy) The mix is like oil & water within a couple hours.

I guess the acetone is mearly there to help thin the ATF out enough to make it into tight spots quickly before it runs off.

I never even tried to spray it. Mix a 50/50 blend in a small glass jar and apply it with a flux brush. Lasts forever in the jar and it's mixed in 2 shakes.

Acetone has a very small molecular structure that allows it to creep into spots, as it does it carries some of the sulfur and other contents of the ATF with it.

I use it, it works very well. They call it Hagen Brew supposedly after the guy that came up with it. Been used in the farming community for years.

I never even tried to spray it. Mix a 50/50 blend in a small glass jar and apply it with a flux brush. Lasts forever in the jar and it's mixed in 2 shakes.

Bingo! Mason jar and it's lasted since i made the first post. 50 cent paint brush is what i used. The flux brush is a great idea!

This combo is better than anything i've ever used.

Most of those oil cans aren't sealed. Figure your acetone would evaporate with that pump. They make some really good bottles for chemicals and I would try one.

For those on the fence, go get some materials and get this stuff in your workshop, it saved me much cursing earlier today.

Back