Horizontal Band saw vs. Dry Cut Saw

Nor'Easter

I am at the point where burning through steel stock with angle grinders is getting old. I'd like to get a small 5x7 horizontal bandsaw or a dry cut chop saw for steel work. Space is somewhat of an issue, but not totally. I do mainly exhaust fab, turbo piping fab, and chassis fab. Anything from ladder bars to custom frame crossmembers. I'm not commercial and it wouldn't be used heavily.

I am leaning towards the bandsaw due to it's tube cutting capabilities, especially larger piping for intercooler pipes, and doing so at funky angles.

I am leaning towards the dry cut saw because of the speed and accuracy they cut larger thicker stock. The one time I used one on some 4x4x5/8 angle I was thoroughly impressed, especially doing repeated cuts.

Any thoughts? I also have a portaband and want something better.

If you go band saw don't go any smaller then a 7". Mine is a 7"x12" and wish I went bigger. You always end up wanting to cut some weird bend and cant fit it in.

X2 on the Ellis. I have a 1600 and it is a well made American piece of equipment.

I guess I should add that $1000 is pushing it very hard, which seems to put Ellis out of my range.

You could always buy a 7×12 grizzly metal cutting bandsaw for $795 and then buy a 14" abrasive saw for $200 and stay in your budget. That would be about the best of both worlds.

I bought a new Jet 7x12 a few years back for $1000. Looks like they are $1299 now. I have been happy and use it quite a bit.

Personally, I'd buy a chop saw before a horizontal band. Smaller foot print, more portable, and you don't need to worry about the blade going askew when it dulls or if you have the feed rate too fast. I guess it depends if you really need the capacity frequently enough to need the band saw.

Chop saws are loud, messy, and you're always replacing blades.

I'm referring to a dry cut chop saw, not an abrasive blade chop saw. Still noisy and messy, but the blades last quite a while. As they should, for what they cost.

It's rare that I do piping but obviously when I do the bandsaw would be handy. I could continue using a grinder for piping and pick up a large disc sander to finalize angles. I barely have the space for a 5x7.

Last edited:
I'm referring to a dry cut chop saw, not an abrasive blade chop saw. Still noisy and messy, but the blades last quite a while. As they should, for what they cost.

sorry, misunderstood you.

I bought a Jet 5x6 (I believe that's the size) for the shop at work 6 years ago and it has been great. Cuts super straight as long as you don't try to go too fast and put a lot of pressure on the blade. I'd buy the same again. Used very often especially on heavy stainless. Never used a dry cut chop saw other than the abrasive type which I loathe. I like the band saws because they are quiet, and you can walk away from them while they cut.

Last edited:
Look up evolution saws! I bought the big "chop saw" and a circular saw after trying one at a local shop that uses them. I would never own a abrasive chop saw. Shop around I got the chop saw really cheap

Look up evolution saws! I bought the big "chop saw" and a circular saw after trying one at a local shop that uses them. I would never own a abrasive chop saw. Shop around I got the chop saw really cheap

I've got their rage 3 miter saw. It's decent, wish the blade was bigger and it had more clamping options. It could be built a little heavier but it does cut great though.

If I had the space I'd went with a bandsaw for sure.

Seems to be some confusion here.

"Chop Saw" generally refers to an abrasive cut off saw. Most use 14" abrasive blades running high RPM's (3500RPM+) and are the cheapest option. Downside is the heat, sparks, accuracy and cleanliness of the cut. They really suck for doing mitre cuts fast and your capacity is limited by the blade wear. The advantage to the chop saw is low cost, cut's fairly quick and most importantly any mouth breather can run one. No worries about your neighbor coming over to use it and ruining an expensive blade.

Dry Cut Saw looks like a chop saw but beefier. They run much lower RPM's (1000-1800) and use more expensive carbide tipped blades. These cost more than a chop saw but are less expensive than a GOOD bandsaw or cold cut saw. Dry Cut saw cuts much like a bandsaw, cool, clean, and accurate. Downside is they are still a bit loud and throw chips everywhere. They also are still not the quickest to reposition for various cutting angles. They also share the same downside as the abrasive saw in that you have to do the actual cutting which takes time and wears you out. The blades are expensive if somebody doesn't know what they are doing and wrecks one.

Cold Cut Saws are supposed to be very low speed (less than 100rpm), high torque, beefy saws with coolant systems and HSS blades. Many interchange cold cut and dry cut. Cold cut saws are expensive and have the coolant mess, however the coolant mess may be okay with some since you dont have the spark or chip mess like with the dry cut and abrasive saws. Many also come with downfeed options if you wish which saws you time and energy.

Bandsaws come in many shapes and sizes obviously and are what the name implies, a bandsaw. Horizontal saws like the Ellis are popular, as are other cheaper versions like the Jet. Vertical saws can either be the smaller ones used for light intricate stuff, or the huge coolant fed ones you see in heavier fab shops. Obviously there are many variations available, so simply stating a bandsaw is best without refrencing the type means very little. Bandsaws disadvantages are their costs, the space they take up, the slight mental capacity they require to operate and the fact that most are not portable and if they are, you wont be doing much but moving it around the shop. Advantages are the low noise level, very little mess (filings just fall into a pan or on ground, nothing flying), clean cool accurate cuts, many have downfeed controls so you set it and walk away and depending on the model, fast setup for mitre's. Many have a very large capacity as well.

Personally I like the Ellis style saws the most for most general fab work. Quick and easy to use, downfeed control saves you time and energy, easy to service and overall a decent bang for the buck. If you go that route I strongly suggest gong with a 1600 or better as the 1"+ blade machines are much better overall. The cost is high though, look around craiglist and you can score some deals.

I had a cheap 7 inch band saw, it lasted for a few years but never cut straight or fast. Angle cuts were a PITA. Now I have an Ellis 1600 and love it. It's not a cheap investment, but quality tools are always a smart investment.

Back