Hot egt temps

Badbrad3701

Borrowed Money
The egt are running really hot for some reason . The truck has 62mm phat shaft on it and 370 marine injectors motor has marine bowls in it timing is at 18 degrees has 215 pump 181 DV truck has aftermarket intercooler in it. Truck is auto. Cruising with 29ft camper and running 65-70 it's running 1000-1100 degrees in overdrive. Truck has 3.55 gears. 4 inch to 5inch exhaust. I have checked for boost leaks, low fuel psi it's 25 at idle and 45 at wot. Thought maybe when I put motor together maybe I got it one tooth out on cam pulled cover off and checked dead on cam key is still in there too need help and ideas thanks. :nail:

What are your egts @ 55-60mph?. I bet pushing wind multiplies in that speed difference spread. Also what turbine wheel does the phat shaft have? You may not be turning enough rpm, to get on top of the charger cruising. Even if you are applying a good load.
My work truck I normally tow with O/D off with 3.55 gears. The extra rpm isn't bad, and my egts drop considerably.

Welcome to the hot world of 370's. Unless you had the tips redone marine injectors are the wrong spray angle. Switch to a similar sized nozzle with correct degrees for your piston bowl and I'd wager your temps drop. But really 1100* isn't that hot, mine used to hit 2300* by the time I was halfway thru 3rd gear on a wot run.

Welcome to the hot world of 370's. Unless you had the tips redone marine injectors are the wrong spray angle. Switch to a similar sized nozzle with correct degrees for your piston bowl and I'd wager your temps drop. But really 1100* isn't that hot, mine used to hit 2300* by the time I was halfway thru 3rd gear on a wot run.

His motor has marine pistons.

1000-1100cruising isn't hot, especially since you have a load. Now cruising empty at 1000 would be too hot.

His motor has marine pistons.

1000-1100cruising isn't hot, especially since you have a load. Now cruising empty at 1000 would be too hot.

Oops somehow I missed that part while driving a semi down the road talking to a buddy and texting a chick about this weekend. LoL

Oops somehow I missed that part while driving a semi down the road talking to a buddy and texting a chick about this weekend. LoL
Just don't run over a van load of Yoder with a truck full of brake drums. All hell will (brake) lose

I didn't see the kind of EGT reduction from my 62/65 that I thought I would on ddp4's (modded 370s I hear) and simple fuel mods. I was grossing 26,500 ish pulling the mountains in East TN at 70mph in 3rd, and she was a lot happier. It would do overdrive but not for long. I made the run several times, all over 20k so it wasn't a Unicorn.
Drop a gear, save your Trans for better things

Ok came to find out the truck has 24 valve manifold on it would this restrict the flow and make it run hott egt ?

Towing a 29' camper at 65-70mph with 3.55 gears in overdrive is not hot. If you were running 1400* then yeah, worry about sustaining those for long periods of time. If your really that worried about 1100* put a water/meth kit on it. IMO I think your fine where your at considering your setup and what your doing when experiencing the 1100* EGTs.
Have you tried running the same speeds in 3rd yet?

Back