hot EGTs for short times??

CumminsCrazed

hey guys, just wondering how bad it is on the truck if you get it hot for 4-8 seconds at a time randomly. i was toying around with a custom turbo rabbit diesel tonight and i accidentally let my EGT's get to at least 1600 deg for no longer than 5 or 6 seconds. Just hoping didnt do any damage and made sure to let truck run and cool down really good after that happened. what do you guys think coulda happened, if anything.

ok thanks, also doy ou know if a pyro will read over its max temp or not, mine seems to stop right at 1600, not sure if thats all the hooter i get or if the gauge stops reading at max temp

Its good to get them hot like that now nd then. Keeps them from getting buildup internally. Burn all the crap out.

My gauge would go passed 1600 and stick to the needle.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

I've seen over 2000* on my 12 valve. Probably not good for it though.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I burried my 2200* gauge by 75' every single hook for 2 seasons with my old puller. Never had a problem. Though I did taper the top of my pistons to accomidate the swelling of the piston with that much heat.

ok so you guys whose gauges wrap past 1600 deg, are those autometer gauges or a different brand

Autometer gauges will go past 1600. The one I saw would always stop at the "O" in pyrometer

Mine wraps past 1600 and stops somewhere around the bottom of the gauge.. its autometer

ok so maybe my truck just stops warming up at 1600 then.....which is odd, but if they do wrap around it makes me feel better knowing i wasnt actually at like 2000 deg or something

I've been told, if your not making 1600 your not making enough power.

Unplug the egt gauge and you won't be so paranoid. I've been like that for the better part of a year.

Yeah I buried my 2000* pyro countless times, no problems yet,.... well unless you think that burned up divider missing cracked up turbine housings are a problem.

pretty sure the mod pullers run egt well under the temps you guys are listing.

I have had no engine damage that I know of related to higt egt, turbo damage is another story. I have melted 2 turbine housings, melted 1 ED stainless steel wastegate spacer and 2 turbine wheels.

A wise man once said: "a clock would be more useful in the place of a pryo"

(or something close to that)

2000's fine for a few seconds.

A wise man once said: "a clock would be more useful in the place of a pryo"

(or something close to that)

2000's fine for a few seconds.

I know said wise man. Believe it was a Autometer clock he was going to use.

My 2.6 trucks sees in excess of 1800*...and pulled the head off...looked just fine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356671041.139704.jpg

Back