How do fire rings hold up?

STROKETHISF350

I bought a new truck recently and it had a bad motor supposably, after checking some things over I thing it might have had a blown head gasket but I'm not sure. Anyways it came with a head that appears to be fire ringed, and I was wondering if it be usable or not or whether it even be worth it to use in an upcoming engine build for the new truck

some guys say they aren't good for daily drivers. I know of 3 guys that have daily driven fire ringed trucks for years without problems.

I personally don't like the fire rings on a daily driver with the heat cycles that they see. Saw one go bad and take a block and head out. But others have had no issues.

I personally don't like the fire rings on a daily driver with the heat cycles that they see. Saw one go bad and take a block and head out. But others have had no issues.

How'd it take a block and head out?

Fire ring failed and eroded the block and head where it failed. I have some pics on CompD of it somewhere. It could of been a machining issue but never really looked into any more, had to find a new motor for the guy. He brought it in damaged.

have had my head and block fire ringed since 2004, still holding fine.

Fire ring failed and eroded the block and head where it failed. I have some pics on CompD of it somewhere. It could of been a machining issue but never really looked into any more, had to find a new motor for the guy. He brought it in damaged.

Please post where the pics are, very interested in seeing.

It happened over 5 years ago, probably have to search later for them.

With the bock and head I have only the head is fireringed I really don't even know who did them

Guess the deciding factor will be if the head is even good or not guess I'll have to rake it to the machinist

DD my truck with fire ringed head for the last 4 yrs...track, sled, and overly excited daily driving and no issues whatsoever...aaaaaand im not very nice on my throttle eith..just fyi

So what is the difference between fire rings and orings? I've heard fire rings are a softer metal wire or something like that?

So what is the difference between fire rings and orings? I've heard fire rings are a softer metal wire or something like that?

Firing is a larger wire, and deeper cut, and the factory fire ring is removed from the head gasket

Oring smaller gauge wire, and shallower cut. Head gasket is not modified.

I've put 10,000+ miles a year for the last few years on firerings on my 95. x2 on getting someone who knows what they're doing. Brown's Diesel did the work, using a Haisley gasket and firerings. One of Brown's mechanics has a fireringed 6.7L that he uses as a 3-4 car hauler. Done right, they're fine.

Edit: I have 625 studs, and so does the other dude, if that matters....which it just may. The firerings have also always leaked a little pressure into the cooling system, which seems like a blown head gasket, but after a few years of it, I'm used to it now. No fluids change places ever, just a little pressure.

Last edited:
Back