How do fire rings hold up?

We also are using 625's and that could be part of a good seal. Using a BHJ register plate and their tool to cut a round grove in both the head and block. Using Haisley's MLS cut out for a firering.

There is zero leakage and no coolant pressurization no matter how hard I beat on it. Pretty sure you'd have to blow thing thing into little pieces before that seal gives.

It sounds like fire rings should be better all around. How do they fail?

I estimate improper machining for the wire used, and insufficient clamp load are the two most common failures. So imagine trying to un phuck that if you get it wrong the first time. That is probably the leading reason most recommend oring unless the power levels necessitate fire rings.

So my understanding was that you want to retorque every 10-15k, is that true? Not that retorquing is tough, just time consuming.

I retorque three times. Once once it gets warmed up before driving, once after the first 100miles or so of easy driving, and lastly at the first oil change (three thousand miles).
This is using 12mm 625's or 14mm H11 studs and mild steel rings with the main groove in the block and a small receiving groove in the head. I have a couple of cr cummins engines running around with over 250k miles and a duramax with over 180k miles on this setup with no issues.

I retorque three times. Once once it gets warmed up before driving, once after the first 100miles or so of easy driving, and lastly at the first oil change (three thousand miles).
This is using 12mm 625's or 14mm H11 studs and mild steel rings with the main groove in the block and a small receiving groove in the head. I have a couple of cr cummins engines running around with over 250k miles and a duramax with over 180k miles on this setup with no issues.

Do you guys do the machine work

I had 2to sets fail when o had my motor built back in 04ish witg 12mm studs. Using haisley rings and modded gasket. Botv rings that failed both times were 3 and 4. I still have the rings and u can see thay the rings were not crushed evenly as 1,2,5,6 were. Switched to 14mmthe h11 studs and all has been good. I have never retorqued as yhe studs are torqued to the moom and i dont want to pull threads. It was torwued three times when they were installed. I would personnally do orings next time but thats just me. If done properly i think fire rings r just fine

I had a set of fire rings put in my 01. They only cut the grooves in the head, then used 12mm A1 studs. This was with under 10K on the truck. I retorqued them at around 50K just because. Had them on the truck for 10 years and with 50K no issues.

Last edited:
Back